Privacy and Security on Horseadvice.com
The Internet is a dangerous place to leave personal information. Horseadvice.com is aware of this and goes to extreme measures to protect your personal information. There are two important facts you need to know:
- Your default profile settings essentially make you invisible both to our other members and the internet in general.
- This information is not shared with anyone.
- We do not keep any of your credit information on the internet. This information is logged with the companies who approve credit card transactions and not accessible by even the staff at Horseadvice.com.
For further explanations read on.
Horseadvice.com and its secure payment provider Plug & Pay does not share any information about our members or visitors with anyone. When you join you automatically have a profile page created where you can edit the way the site treats your account.
The default of your profile when you join is to provide no information about you. We recommend you go to your profile to see what benefits and settings are available. If you do not post to the forums no one will know you are a member. When you post to the discussions your full name and username, are displayed. You should edit your fullname in your profile to a unique but pronouncable moniker that you would like to use on the site. Perhaps a first or middle name and your other two initials, the choice is yours. Strive to make it original as you don't want to be one of a dozen "Debbie's" on the site.
We suggest you protect your anonymity by leaving the default preference setting of not displaying your email address. This prevents your email address from becoming public when you post. However you should leave your email address in the form because Horseadvice uses this to send you your renewal notice, newsletter, and important information about your account.
Members should note that the information they voluntarily provide in the Additional Personal Information portion of their profile is NOT private. It can be accessed by members and visitors by clicking on your name once you have posted to a discussion. We think it is safe to provide this information in your profile and helps when answering your questions:
- your horse's names, sex, breed, and ages
- your experiences with horses, please be truthful
- your general location like state or territory, country, and general geography
- briefly your boarding situation
This information gives us a sense of community and can make replying to your questions easier and the answers more accurate.
Monetary transactions are carried out by Plug-n-Pay Technologies using 1024 bit encryption and is certified by VeriSign as a RSA secure server. This information is relayed only to your bank and is sent over the internet and is encoded at all times.