Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on High Protein Feed

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Suzanne Moore (Suzym)
Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Dr.O ~

My new horse Indy of course came with some of the feed he had been getting at his breeder's. They had been giving him approximately two lbs. of Buckeye Grow N Win twice a day. This feed is 30% protein. I just never heard of a horse feed with that much protein. What is your opinion of this? Indy is four years old, and I certainly want him to reach his full potential growth and development, but Im over my head here.

Since Buckeye feeds are not available in my area, I plan to switch him to Purina feed - gradually of course. Would Omolene 100 be sufficient, or should he be on a higher protein feed for a while longer? He will get very little concentrate in any event because he has access to excellent pasture 24/7, and also has free choice grass hay off our hayfield.

Thanks! :)

Suzy and Indy

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Indy would be considered an adult horse. With access to excellent pasture and hay I see no reason for a higher protein that 10% but this is all explained in Care for Horses: Nutrition: Nutrition for the Horse: an Overview of Feeding Horses.
DrO

Suzanne Moore (Suzym)
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, DrO! It's just that the 30% stuff kinda blew my mind - mind not too good to begin with :O

Suzy and Indy
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC