Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Austree Hybrid Tree for Planting

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jody Gomez
Posted on Monday, Sep 13, 1999 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone heard of the Austree Hybrid tree? It supposedly grows 15 feet a year and has the nutritional value of alfalfa hay. We are thinking of planting a bunch at our place because we live in S. Cal in the heat and need shade. They grow to 50-70 feet tall with a 35-50 foot canopy. Does anyone have any? Let me know if they are any good.

Emily French
Posted on Tuesday, Sep 14, 1999 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have heard of them and used to get flyers to purchase them but I had not heard that they had a nutritional value to horses?!? At one point I called them and they said the trees were not posionous to horses, but never seen any yet....

Rebecca A Andrew (Rama)
Posted on Friday, Nov 17, 2000 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi,

I live in Western PA near Pittsburgh. We planted quite a few of the Austrees - originally for wind break but my horses do like to graze on them.

Our trees didn't exactly flourish - our paddock area was formerly a corn field with not much topsoil to speak of. My uncle's trees planted across the road did better.

I hadn't heard they had the nutritional value of alfalfa!
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC