Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Chiggers

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kathryn Faille
Username: Mymax

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, Nov 5, 2003 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We have just bought 13 lovely acres of land most of it in pasture. We are starting build our barn and have spent several days on the property. The problem is...Chiggers. I am covered in bites. The front of the property has been cut and most of the back as well. Is there anything I can do to eliminate the pests without making the pasture dangerous to my horses? I can't imagine being bitten like this every time I walk into the grass. It will be at least spring before the horses will live with us on this property.

joj
Username: Jojo15

Post Number: 397
Posted on Wednesday, Nov 5, 2003 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh boy... can i relate. I had a problem last year what a painful nightmare... they expand too. Once on you they can multiply... I got them out in the Everglades.. I found that dipping clothes in deet and skin so soft did help. and covering every inch of your skin is the only way to get rid of them...

Sorry i don't have a grand solution for the property. There has to be a spray that covers it. I wonder if/when you clear the land it might help the problem. I found them mostly in wooded areas.

ugh! my skin is itching as i write this...

good luck

joj

kerry
Username: Parfait

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, Nov 5, 2003 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kathryn,

I fought those crazy things for 5 years in TX. I was finally rid of them when I moved North!It was 2 years before my kids quit asking if it was safe to walk/sit/touch the grass up here.

Although I have read that other people have had problems with skin reactions on their horses' legs, I never experienced that. I was able to tolerate a walk through the pasture by keeping the grass short and staying on an established path. They seemed worse after the rains. Spraying just wasn't feasible but I guess you might try it...I was afraid to do it as I was also treating for fire ants (I hope you don't have those too). Joj is right, the sraying of the ankles, waist etc is key. Good luck!
Kerry

Elizabeth Donahue
Username: Paul303

Post Number: 394
Posted on Thursday, Nov 6, 2003 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Horrible, horrible, horrible!!! One of the most exquisitly intense itches that nature can produce. And, boy, can that itch carry on and on and on....

They usually cling to high grasses and low shrubs. Stay away from areas like that when temperatures approach 40 or above. Should the urge to trail ride become unsuppressable, or an emergency mental-health ride is necessary, then spray generously with DEET, and wear long pants, high socks and more DEET.

Then DEET your horse.

It also helps to shower mightily as soon as possible.

Kathryn Faille
Username: Mymax

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, Nov 6, 2003 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all for your advice on these pesky critters. I would really like to know if anyone has had sucess in eradicating them from the pastures...if so, what did you use? Thanks

Maureen
Username: Maureen

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, Nov 6, 2003 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I live in Texas. When I was a kid Mom would sprinkle sulfur on my socks and pant-legs.
We also broadcast it on the lawn.

Could you use sulfur on the pastures?

Maureen
Username: Maureen

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, Nov 6, 2003 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

here's a link.

It says to use Permethrin Pro

http://www.pestproducts.com/chiggers.htm

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 9419
Posted on Thursday, Nov 6, 2003 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Run a search on our search engine that "Searches this site and the net" for "chiggers" the first link explains about eliminating them from pastures. We nightly spider what we consider the best equine internet sites and register this in our database for this search engine.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC