Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on How soon can a colt start eating grain?

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Terri Thomas
Username: cndlscen

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, Jun 18, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a 6 1/2 week old colt that keeps trying to get his nose in his mom's grain bin. When can I start giving him small amounts of grain? I don't want to give it to him too soon, but he seems interested in it. He is already eating some hay and grass.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joanie Davison
Username: jd1947

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, Jun 18, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Terri,

They all start eating from mama's feed tub, most of my foals would start putting their nose in mom's feed tub at 2 or 3 days old...they really just kinda play around with the feed, and as long as mama lets them share...it's fine.
Your baby is old enough to start using a creep feeder, start putting out a small amount of grain for him, he'll decide when he wants to start...they all start at different points of their ages. If he doesn't eat it, you'll have to toss it and put in fresh feed...so start with a cup full...if he does eat it, then you'll have to begin judging how much to feed him....and choose a good foal feed...you'll get a lot of opinions on what feed to use, and my best advice about that is to have your hay analyzed for mineral content so you know what to feed him...so many variables, the main thing is the calcium/phosphorus ratio...needs to be perfectly balanced.
I beleive Dr.O has some good articles here on feeding foals...and mama too, because, needless to say, he's eating what she eats thru her milk.

Best of luck with your little one!!
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC