Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Keeping haircoat short

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Linda Cronk
Username: Lindac

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you wanted to keep your horse from getting a thick coat what is the best time of year to start using artificial light (along with blanketing) to accomplish this? How late should the lights be left on ......9,10,11pm?

Since I live in a cold winter climate area and my barn is open I realize that even with blanketing and lighting chances are my horse will still grow some coat due to the colder temperatures. My goal is (hopefully) to keep it short enough that I won't have to clip him. I would also like him to shed out what coat he does get earlier in the year. In order to accomplish this is there a point where the lights should be turned off for a short time and then turned back on in order to start an earlier shedding cycle?

I've read in the forum discussions that a 200 watt bulb is recommended but I've heard that a 100 watt bulb is sufficient, as long as the intensity of the light is such that you can comfortably read a newspaper. Could you confirm this?

Although my horse has started to shed now, would putting him under lights at this point help him shed out a little faster or would it be a pointless exercise?

Thanks,

Linda
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 10074
Posted on Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Unlike how much light is required to start a mare cycling there is no hard research into this so you can only go by folks experiences. Particulars are difficult to pin down because they can be effected by your latitude, when the horses are brought in, the distance the lamp is from the stall, the type lamp you use, and individual varitation of response to stimulation.

It is sensible to minimize a long winter coat you should start with lights 60 days before your horse begins to normally get his winter coat. While some (many?) horses will respond to less, 200 watts to 11pm is often recommended because it consistantly works to get mares to cycle which may be a similar hormonal mechanism.

If the horse has not started to whed you might find a light will speed things up.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC