Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Yogurt for Horses

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Denise Nader
Username: octavius

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, Feb 25, 2008 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Dr. O -

My horse just finished a 45 day course of doxy for treatment of lymes. In order to make the doxy a little more palatable I mixed it with molasses and Stoneyfield organic whole milk french vanilla yogurt. After he finished the doxy I figured I would finish off the carton of yogurt by adding it to his feed a few teaspoons at a time and he absolutely loves it. Is there any harm in giving a horse yogurt on a regular basis?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 20133
Posted on Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 - 6:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have never heard on any problems feeding it Denise, the article evaluates it as a therapeutic agent for digestive problems.
DrO

Margo E. Purdy
Username: mpurdy

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is "after the fact," but would you not have to be careful mixing tetracyclines with milk products?
Margo

Denise Nader
Username: octavius

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, Feb 26, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What I understood after reading about the drug (and Dr. O correct me if I am wrong) is that I could lose about 20% if it was taken with calcium. The drug information sheet actually recommended taking the drug with milk if you were experiencing stomach upset. I needed something to cut the bitterness of the doxy, applesause didn't even make a dent, plus have some gastrointestinal benefit. It seems to have worked really well.
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC