Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Timothy/Alfalfa Cubes vs Alfalfa cubes for heaves

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kim Campbell
Username: stuart05

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum or the feed forum but I have finally faced facts with my 26 yo QH and his heaves. I am removing all hay from his diet. I tried finding quality hay but even with that he just had the worst heave attack of his life, also my 8 yo gelding it showing some initial signs. So I am switching to cubes in addition to their pasture time. My question is, does it make any difference to feed timothy/alfalfa cubes vs just straight alfalfa? Where I live there seems to be more alfalfa cubes for sale than the mix but my old horse is a bit overweight and the alfalfa cubes maybe too much for him as he is retired. Also is there a difference in ration size between the two. The horses spend about 5-6 hours a day on pasture. Thanks.

Vicki Zaneis
Username: vickiann

Post Number: 639
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The T & A cubes have a better calcium-phosphorus balance than the straight A, which is too much calcium.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 20701
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Kim,
Yes it makes a difference as the nutritional makeup of the two products is different. In general the mixture will provide a more balanced diet with respect to protein and minerals however straight alfalfa will provide more energy and further increase the horses weight. For more on balancing your horses diet to achieve a better condition see Overview of Nutrition.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC