Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Wet Clipping

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diane E.
Username: scooter

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Sunday, Jun 29, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sam gave it his all, but did not completely shed out this year again, I have been putting off clipping him because the weather hasn't been hot and he was still shedding. We had a couple warm days and the poor guy was uncomfortable....so it's time.

I was going to do it this weekend, but between the rain and wind (no barn) it didn't get done.
Tomorrow will be the day, when I get home. Of course since we had rain he rolled and is all mud.
The boy stinks and is dirty to the roots. The mud is off, but with all that hair he has dirt, sweat, brushing just won't remove.

I have learned the hard way it is MUCH easier to clip a clean horse...so a bath is necasary before the clipping. It takes forever for him to dry with all the hair, if I lock him in the paddock he rolls in the lime and grinds it in. Don't really want to leave him tied up for as long as it takes for him to dry either.

I have heard of wet clipping before and wondered if anyone has tried it? For some reason mixing water and electricity makes me nervous, but it sure would save me some time if it works and no one gets electrocuted. Thanks

Dawn Winans
Username: dwinans

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, Jun 30, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Diane,

I body-clip professionally and although I've read of wet-clipping before in my experience if the horse is damp at all it makes it harder to clip. I would rather clip a dirty dry horse than a wet clean horse.

Try a hair dryer on the spots that are taking a long time to dry. The fluffier and cleaner the better for good results, comfort for horse, and clipper/blade life.

Have fun!

Andrea Duncan
Username: babychop

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, Jun 30, 2008 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That provided, of course, that your horse doesn't jump out of it's skin at the blow drier. lol

I have to agree though, a clean dry horse is much better than a dirty horse, dirt seems to slow the process a great deal but so does wet, wet darned near stops a blade. Kill 2 birds w/one stone, patience tie him until he's dry & use a sweat scraper to help the drying along. He'll learn to stand quietly as he dries. You may need to babysit him & correct any misbehavior but it will be good for him to learn in the long run.

Diane E.
Username: scooter

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Monday, Jun 30, 2008 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He will stand all day tied, it just by the time I get home, it would be dark before he was dry.

So I borrowed the vets large animal clippers, my gawd they weighed more than me...he asked if I wanted a tranq, because they sound like a vacuum cleaner when running..

Nope we did it drug free, he did very well and the clippers went through dirt and hair very well. I only had an hour so it is an ugly ugly job...but quite functional and he doesn't ever leave the farm anyway. Thanks

Andrea Duncan
Username: babychop

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, Jun 30, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Funny about those monster clippers, my friend brought her HUGE Oster clippers to clip my weanling filly for the first time back in the day and lo & behold, right up over her head & she didn't even flinch (and she was a PILL about her ears). You could've knocked me over with a feather.

Since you get there late there isn't much else you could've done other than wait until the weekend...
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC