Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Supplements containing Creatine and/or Gamma Oryzanol in Halter Horses

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michelle Atkeisson
Username: cmatexas

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, Jul 10, 2009 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O,

Is there any evidence to show that either supplements will improve the appearance, i.e. muscle definition, in horses? A very reliable and experienced trainer/breeder has suggested it for our 9 year old gelding who is possibly N/H, but totally asymptomatic. I know the research shows no great improvement in muscle performance, but I am looking for something that gives that last little "pop" coming up to a big show. I do not want to feed anything that could possibly cause a problem. She says that it gives short term improvement in some horses with large, but smooth, muscle mass, but that not all horses will see improvement. I have a little over two weeks until the show, and he has hit a plateau. According to her research, it can increase fluid retention in the cell, making the muscle appear larger. I have seen some mention of this in my own research. Safe to give him? (Yes, I know I need to get him tested, and will get it done, but he has never shown us any evidence of it, and I watch his potassium intake just to be on the safe side)

Susie in AZ
Username: sodmonst

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, Jul 10, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What is N/H?

Michelle Atkeisson

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, Jul 10, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HYPP N/H. HYPP is a genetic disorder that can affect quarter horses that are descendants of a horse named Impressive. Can be common in many lines of Halter Horses. It's also a hot button issue among many QH owners. :-) I mention it b/c horses that exhibit symptoms require special dietary considerations.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 23401
Posted on Monday, Jul 13, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Michelle I cannot find any work in horses but in humans there is some evidence that creatine can increase body mass but I cannot find supporting or negative evidence about gamma oryzanol. Neither do I see safety studies on this practice in horses.
DrO

Michelle Atkeisson

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, Jul 13, 2009 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Dr. O. We are watching him very closely. We only have a short time until the show. We'll let you know what happens. :-)
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC