Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Chestnuts

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Anna-Marie (Fame)
Username: npo33901

Post Number: 257
Posted on Saturday, Jul 2, 2011 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My ten years old gelding suddenly peeled off whole chestnuts . I do remove old skin from the chestnuts time to time. This time large piece was hanging, with a little bloody area on the periphery (just on one spot) .
Is it possible that he bit it off when chasing flies away ? Or is it a sigh of some deficiency/ illness ?
ALSO, his "spur" with few hairs at one fetlock dropped off while I was grooming him .
Now all is healing, is looking good .
Did anybody have the same experience ?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 25836
Posted on Saturday, Jul 2, 2011 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Anne-Marie,
The one with the bloody spot sounds like it got caught on something and not a sign of illness. As for them coming off time to time that is normal too. There was a recent discussion about cutting them back at HorseAdvice.com » Horse Care » Tips and Tricks » 2008 Add New Care Tips Here » Chestnut removal.
DrO

Diana Shaffner
Username: tdiana

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, Jul 2, 2011 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have this sometimes on my Arabian. They come off completely even when lightly touched and then other times they may grow for a while and remain pretty firm. In neither case does he seem to be bothered by it (although there is never blood).

Andrea Duncan
Username: babychop

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, Jul 2, 2011 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

He'll heal up, just put some scarlet oil (cheapest option and effective), Granulex or Alumi-guard (waterproof and good for those places you can't wrap to keep the flies out) on it until the chestnut grows back so he doesn't get it infected. He most likely bumped it on something, horses are always on 'self destruct' but once you get over the initial freak out it's pretty simple... I always make sure to scrub with Betadine fist. If his chestnuts are starting to grow in brittle you can put some Vasaline (sp?) or HOOF ALIVE on 'em on a regular basis and they'll break away easier so he doesn't bleed next time... I swear by the HOOF ALIVE stuff, it's expensive but amazing.

Anna-Marie (Fame)
Username: npo33901

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 6, 2011 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all for the reply to my "neurosis" .

I did clean it with betadine and then kept neosporin on the bloody spot . now it is dry and growing OK .
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC