Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Garlic

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

claire sidebottom
Posted on Saturday, Mar 11, 2000 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A horse on our yard is fed 4-5 cloves of garlic per day in the feed. She suffers from COPD. It has been suggested by someone else that this much garlic is not good for her. Can you OD on garlic?? Anyone know!!
Claire:-}

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Posted on Saturday, Mar 11, 2000 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In humans, large doeses is associated with stomach complaints and a distinct problem with making friends. With prolonged exposure some folks develop a contact hypersenswitivity.
DrO

claire sidebottom
Posted on Sunday, Mar 12, 2000 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

How much would be too much in a horse? She is about 15.2hh anglo arab, fairly lightweight in good general condition.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Posted on Sunday, Mar 12, 2000 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Claire,
That has not been studied and I have no personal experience with its use.
DrO

Joe A. Dale
Posted on Monday, Apr 17, 2000 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Springtime, Inc. advertises a product called "Bug Off Garlic". It's dehydrated garlic powder to be used for fly control. You put 1 oz. per day, per 1000 lbs in their feed. The article says it may take two to four weeks to "build-up" in the system and permeate all tissues. I ordered 5 lbs ($32.50) and will be glad to report back on it's effectiveness, if any, as a repellant. Meanwhile, if anybody has any pros or cons on this, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks...

Christine C. Mills
Posted on Monday, Apr 17, 2000 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd tried it on my mare some time ago and saw no real bug reduction effect with or without it.

The stuff does clump up and get hard if you leave the lid off.

And it is very stinky.

My horse was good about eating it, but she'll eat just about anything on her grain - even crushed bute.

So, once it was used up, I didn't reorder.

Eva B. Orndoff
Posted on Monday, Apr 17, 2000 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used it too, with zero results. I didn't reorder, either. Maybe it works in some locales and not in others--but it doesn't work in central California. Neither did Springtime's J-Flex.

Jackie Aldrich
Posted on Monday, Apr 17, 2000 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I also tried it a few years back with no results.
My one mare ate it readily in her feed but the other one who tends to be picky did not. I had to use applesauce to hide it. Used it for a summer and didn't notice a reduction in flies at all.

W Haagerup
Posted on Sunday, Apr 23, 2000 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Check out a book called: A Modern Horse Herbal by Hillary Page Self through Kenilworth Press. She has recomendations on using garlic as well as many other herbs for horses.It is really good. Also she mentions a book called Garlic for Health by David S. Roser MCIM. Says he probably knows more about garlic than anyone else. The book includes use of garlic in animals.
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC