Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Watermelon??

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

steven
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 12, 2000 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Both of my adult geldings were eating some watermelon, rind and all, my kids gave them. They really seemed to like it, however I didn't know if they should have it. Now we can't get near them with the stuff without them begging. Is this an okay treat??

Eveo
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 12, 2000 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know if it's good for them, but my four think it's yummy. They first got it years & years ago, and every summer, slurp it up. So far, so good. I do cut it up into little chunks for them and make them share one slice at a time.

Nada J. Woodworth
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 19, 2000 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello all: My 16 year old gelding loves watermelon as a treat and it is so funny to watch him consume his portion. I am unaware of any problems with watermelon and horses. My gelding has eaten it as a treat in the summer for many years and he is just fine. Dr. O may know something he will add later to this forum, but for now this is my contribution. Respectfully, Dr. Woodworth

Bridgett Mitchell DVM
Posted on Saturday, Jul 22, 2000 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't know of any contraindications at this time to feeding watermelon as a treat to your horses.

Jeanne Myatt
Username: Jeannem

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, Aug 15, 2003 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love watching my geldings dunk for watermelon rinds in the horse trough. I cut the rinds up into nice size pieces and toss them in. They float like apples. I am not sure if the horses are as entertained by this activity as I am, but that is the price they must pay for being my horses. LOL

Penner
Username: Penner

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, Aug 16, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

5 Star Suggestion!!!
What a great suggestion, Jeanne! I put watermelon pieces, couple dozen or so, in my gelding's 70 gallon tank - it kept him entertained the whole afternoon, LOL!
He finally figured out how to kind of get them with some regularity - he pushes the piece to the wall of the tank, then noses it upwards.
You are right, its entertaining for the owner to watch too!

Thanks!
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC