Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Hock OCD in 1 1/2 month warmblood filly

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nancy Reynolds Kiester (Albionsh)
Posted on Friday, Sep 28, 2001 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am new to the list, and hope that these questions aren't redundant. A very young filly has been diagnosed with an OCD lesion on her right hock. There is heat and some swelling, but no lameness. The left hock has radiographed clean. Her owner wants to put her down because she doesn't have the money for the surgery and because she feels the filly has no useful life even with the surgery. It was planned that she would be a show jumper and eventual brood mare. Any help?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Saturday, Sep 29, 2001 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Here is the problem Nancy, the filly is not yours so what can you do? If surgery has been recommended, why don't you discuss with the owner taking over ownership (save them the cost of euthanasia and burial) and then you can provide what your vet thinks is neccassary.

For more information on OCD see the article associated with this forum. Quite frankly if there is no lameness it is unlikely the heat and swelling are do to the OCD.
DrO

Posted on Sunday, Sep 30, 2001 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you Doctor. The filly is out of my mare, and they are willing to give her to me if I will do the surgery. I was asking if surgery is a logical solution. What is the percentage of very young horses who go on to be usable in dressage and jumping? Is this a strongly linked genetic condition that precludes her from being bred? My funds are very limited. If I take this on, I must sell another bred mare to pay for the surgery. She is the most darling, beautifully formed, gentle and spirited little girl. I have cared for her daily since she was born into my arms. I am trying to separate my heart from what is the logical and proper solution.

I would also like to know if there is any vet college that is doing studies that would accept her as a donation, do the surgery, and keep her for their OCD test breeding program.

Thank you again--Nancy

Posted on Monday, Oct 1, 2001 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Without examing the filly and the radiographs I really do not know if surgery is indicated and what the prognosis might be. The exam findings, position of the lesion, and size of the lesion would all go into such an evaluation.

If you are interested in such a second opinion I would have the radiographs evaluated by Colorado States Equine Dept. They are perhaps the most knowledable in the world on this subject. The cost is minimal and well worth it. Your vet should know how to contact them.
DrO

Jordana Meisner (Presario)
Posted on Tuesday, Oct 2, 2001 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good luck Nancy. I have one friend who had the surgery done on her mare when she was a weanling, and she's now successfully competing in jumper classes with no problems in her stifle (where the lesion was). I don't know the size of the lesion though. I have another friend who's weanling was diagnosed with several small OCD lesions in her hock, and it was suggested that she would grow out of them. She has, and is successfully competing as an AA hunter. Just my 2 experiences.

Posted on Friday, Oct 19, 2001 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I have been successful in finding a home for Star where she will be evaluated again and given the necessary surgery. Thank you for helping me to save the life of this lovely filly. Perhaps some of you in the Northwest will have the opprotunity to see her and her foals compete in the years to come.
Nancy in Medford, OR

Nancy Kiester (Albionsh)
Posted on Tuesday, Feb 26, 2002 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My filly, Star, has been returned to my ownership and care. Due to a loss of employment, her previous owner was unable to provide the needed surgery.

She is now six and a half months old. I just had radiographs of both hocks and both stifle joints and all are clear and normal with the exception of the torn cartiledge in her right hock. I am told the injury is most likely due to a tramatic blow rather than from systemic OCD. I am looking for the name and phone number of any surgeons in the Northern California area who are experienced in equine arthroscopic surgery of the hocks. Thanks for any help. Please see my profile for e-mail information.

Posted on Wednesday, Feb 27, 2002 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with the area Nancy, have you checked with your regular vet for a referral? He will be familiar with whose around. Otherwise some of our members may know.
DrO

Nancy Kiester (Albionsh)
Posted on Wednesday, Mar 13, 2002 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello to all who have been following this discussion. Star had her surgery two weeks ago. Several fragments, one very large, were removed from her hock joint. The underlying bone was not disturbed because it had grown a good covering of repair cartilage. Star is jumping and playing, though she is only allowed a small area due to her recuperation regime. We expect full recovery. I just wanted others to know there is hope beyond a diagnosis of OCD. This lovely filly might be pushing up daisies instead of eating them. Thanks to all, and especially for the notes of encouragement.

Nancy Reynolds Kiester
Username: Albionsh

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 18, 2004 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just wanted to give an update on my filly Star. She is three now and started under saddle. We had X-rays of her hocks this spring, and the vets at Washington State were very positive regarding her recovery after surgery. I am so thankful to have this beautiful young mare here, and I am so glad we had the surgery rather than choosing euthanasia. Thought it would be good to close up this line with the positive results--no lameness, no swelling, free movement. Thanks again to all that responded and also those who contacted me privately.Northstar

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 11007
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 18, 2004 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Excellent Nancy, and such a very pretty filly! Thanks you so much for keeping us appraised over the last 3 years. It will certainly help others make up their mind in similar situations.
DrO

Little King Ranch
Username: Eoeo

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 18, 2004 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nancy, where are you located? You mentioned looking for surgeons in N.Cal and then you followed up with a post on check up at WSU. Who did the surgery? I am located in Eastern Washington. What are you going to use the filly for? EO

Nancy Reynolds Kiester
Username: Albionsh

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 18, 2004 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Our ranch is in Shady Cove, Oregon, about 25 miles northeast of Medford. My mistake on WSU. I meant to say Oregon State University. The operation to remove the joint mouse was performed at Rogue Equine Associates by surgeon Ashley A. Magee, assisted by my own vet, Dr. Ferguson. Locally the vets use OSU as their evaluative service. The second set of views was taken here at Rogue Equine and sent to Dr. Barbara Watrous at OSU for evaluation. Sorry for the confusion! Star is most likely going to be living in either Idaho or the Portland, area, and will hopefully develop into a top three day eventer.
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC