Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Horse runs fever yet tests show nothing

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joanie Elder (Jebe)
Posted on Sunday, Mar 24, 2002 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have tried extensively this weekend to find any information already on the site about my problem, but can't find it. Therefore, I am asking for help. I recently purchased a horse from Kentucky. I trailered him three hours to Tennessee and he spent the night in an old tobacco barn. I cleaned out any old, dried, tobacco leaves. The next day he travelled 10 hours to North Florida. He seemed to be fine, but on the fifth day was down, lethargic, and off his feed. I called my vet who could find nothing wrong so he treated him for colic. He seemed better that day, but the next morning he was worse. The vet came out again, still finding nothing wrong, gave him a shot of banamine,and took a blood sample. The blood sample came back healthy with a minor deficiency in magnesium. Later that afternoon he started developing a fever so as a shot in the dark he started him on bute and antibiotics. The next day his fever was gone so he took him off of the bute and left him on antibiotics for the next five days. He then decided since he was responding favorably to the antibiolics to leave him on them for a total of seven days. Two days later he was down again so I gave him some bute. I told my vet the bute seemd to have the most effect on him. In the meantime I nicked a vein giving him penicillin and having completed the original five day plan asked the vet if I could stop giving him the penicillin. He agreed if I would continue giving the gentamycin two days longer. As an experiment he asked me to take him off of the bute to see if it was coincidence that I felt the bute had the most effect or not. Yesterday he seemed well, running and playing and having fun. Tonight, the second day off of the bute and the 9th day of antibiotics he developed a fever of 102.2. The vet is stumped and I am stressed and at the end of my ropes. I have one question. I have noticed he is a cribber and his previous owner said he did not crib at his place because he had no wood for him to crib on. Could there be any kind of connection there? I don't know what else to do and the vet doesn't know, so his solution is to take him to their clinic and take x-rays and run alot of tests. Is there something we are missing or some tests that you might recommend to begin the testing with? I apologize for taking so much time, but I don't want to loose my horse.
I appreciate your help in this matter.
Sincerely,
Joanie Elder

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Monday, Mar 25, 2002 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Joanie,
I think the article you are looking for is Equine Diseases: Fever of Unknown Origin. It has a very complete answer to most your questions I believe. It is unlikely that there is any connection to the cribbing or Mg level in the diet and everything to do with the recent trip and being in a new location with a new set of viruses and bacteria to get use to.
DrO

Joanie Elder (Jebe)
Posted on Monday, Mar 25, 2002 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Dr. O,
Thank you for your response. I did read that article, but my vet has taken blood samples, done rectal exams, lung tests, etc. and still can find no reasons for him to be sick. I guess we will have to run tests, tests, and more tests. I was hoping someone had been down the same road that could steer us to the right test. The first two days he had no fever and the vet even questioned if he might be depressed. He looked and acted like a horse with a temperature of 104, yet no fever, and when the vet left commented that I had a healthy horse. Then he got a mild fever so that's when we treated him with antibiotics. This morning his fever was normal again after 1 gram of bute last night. I know your article states that the antibiotics may act as only a cover up, is that why the bute seems to bring results? Today is the 11th day since he first became sick. He has been on antibiotics 10 days.
Again, thank you for taking the time to reply to my message.
Sincerely,
Joanie Elder

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Monday, Mar 25, 2002 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Joanie,
The decision of which to do is based on clinical signs and exam findings, a knowledge of the problems common to the area, history, the disease already ruled out, and the goals and resources of the owner. Only the person examining the horse and familiar with the other details can decide what tests are best with such nonspecific symptoms of depression and mild episodic fever.

The use of antibiotics to treat a fever, is not a coverup as I understand the word, but since many fevers are viral disease frequently their use is at best without merit and at worse can result in complications and/or resistant strains of bacteria. In short, antibiotics should only be used when there is a clear indication for them.

In your second post it sounds like fever is much less a problem than in your title or your first post. Depression when fever is not present suggests either pain or perhaps even a primary neurological disease.
DrO

Joanie Elder (Jebe)
Posted on Monday, Mar 25, 2002 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Dr. O,
My veterinarian ruled out depression once he actually got a fever on day 2 of his sickness which is why I put the title that I did. I just thought it was interesting that the results of his tests were so normal he considered that a possibility. Today my vet determined that his fever last night was brought on by a sore neck and inflammation due to the injections. Even though I varied the placement of the shots, after 5 days of four shots a day and 5 more after that of two shots a day, you can find only so...many places to inject. I did read your article/response on injection site soreness, silicon coating, etc..,and will keep those things in mind if I have to give more shots. The vet drew another blood sample today and again it came back normal. He checked his breathing and heartrate, listened to his lungs, etc.. and everything tests normal. He is now taking my horse off of all antibiotics, giving him a little bute to help his neck (the back of his thighs did not get sore and swollen, and his neck only became swollen after the 9th day of shots)and we are going to keep an eye on his temperature. Hopefully he is recovered. I did wonder if there could be some toxicity from the gentamycin. I read that article also, and I have to give it to him twice per day since I don't know how to give the shot in the vein once per day as recommended.
Again, thank you for your input and I will keep in mind the neurological possibility if he continues having problems.
Sincerely,
Joanie

Kim Peterson
Username: Mskim

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, Mar 24, 2003 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am dealing with a horse who is now at New Bolton Center with a fever, edema in her legs, mostly affecting the hind, and malaise. She has been there for 10 days, they have run every test imaginable. Today is a bone scan. I am hoping for new articles about this problem, most are dated one or two years ago. If they find nothing, they will put her on Azium for longterm use as this seems to be the only thing that makes her temp. normal and helps her to feel better. What are the downsides of long term steroid use? Can this horse be usable when on steroids? She is a low level event horse. Any thought would be much appreciated.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 8023
Posted on Tuesday, Mar 25, 2003 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kim, I do not believe you have actually read our article on fever of unknown origin, as it is less than 3 months since its last edit. What you have posted to here is not a article but someone's discussion about their horse. Using the navigation bar at the top of this frame you need to back up one link (click on Fever of Unknown Origin ) and study the professionally written article in the window. We also have such an article on Azium (dexametasone) and steroid use which also discusses long term use. You will find it at, Equine Medications and Nutriceuticals Anti-inflammatories, Steroids, and Arthritis Treatment Overview of the Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs. It too has been edited in the last 3 months. Once you have studied these articles if you have any questions post a new discussion to the appropriate forum.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC