Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Help, Accident Swollen Leg

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dan4th
Posted on Tuesday, Aug 3, 1999 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Apparently last night my 2 horses were fighting & knocked over a panel from my round pen, its in the pasture with them. My mare's front left knee is swollen 5 inches above & 5 inches below the knee. Its approx. 1 1/2 inch bigger around than the left knee. She is walking & bending the leg, but when she stands still she nuzzles at it like its hurting. Also top layer of skin is gone. My vet cannot come until tomorrow, so I gave her 1 gram of bute tablet. Its also warm but not hot.
Please help, do I need to stall her and alternate hot/cold therapy? If so, how long?

The Advisor Vet, RN Oglesby DVM
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 4, 1999 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

From a first aid point of view you describe two problems:
1) swelling from blunt trauma
2) an abraison that does not go all the way through the skin

For the swelling bute and cold water are logical. Exercise would decrease the swelling but until the vet looks at the injury we do not know if further damage will result, so stall rest till looked at is wisest. On the other hand if there was no lameness just after the accident and all you see now is the stiffness from the swelling, it seems unlikely that you will damage something with more exercise.

The abraison requires cleaning with soap and water, a thorough exam for punctures, and then covering with an antibiotic creme. If the horse rubs it off it may require a bandage.

If a puncture is located or seems possible (nails in the board?) the horse should be seen on a emergency basis since the injury is in the locality of a synovial sheath.
DrO

robertjbraun
Username: Rjbraun

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, Mar 13, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My horse tried to jump out of the round pen why ,I do not know.She got hung up between the hings on steel gate .It took 3 guys with ropes to get her off ,it was her left leg.Bleeding a lot at the back of the cannon and a little at the side of the pastern.They got the bleeding stoped and back in her stall.Then called me I got out there called my Vet.could not come out so I clean it and put antibiotic cream on them covered it with clean bandages and vet wrap.Also gave her bute 1 gr. twice a day for 4 days .She seemed to improve for 10 days and then started limping bad again.I am hoseing her with cold water 2 or 3 tims a day after I do, she seems better.I will see how it goes for a few more days .How long it will take to heal? I read and the posts on this,guess it all depends .Any help or ideas.Thanks.

Christos Axis
Username: Christos

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, Mar 14, 2005 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Bob,
It depends on what damage tendons, ligaments and joints have suffered.
Without a diagnosis from a vet, I'd keep hosing twice daily, give bute for the swelling and put a bandage on for tendon and joint support.
I'd hand walk her twice a day for a month and see how she does. When she does not limp at walk for two weeks, you start 3 minute trots on the lunge once a day. When she does not limp at a trot for two weeks, I think you can carefully start with a few steps in canter and work under saddle again.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 12286
Posted on Monday, Mar 14, 2005 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is not enough information in your post to take a stab at how long it will take to heal, or what the prognosis for soundness is robertj. It seems your wound care is adequate but I wonder if a little bit more bute might not help your horse get better quicker and if systemic antibiotic is not indicated. My concern is chiefly for tendon sheaths and joint spaces as they are chief reasons for permanant lamenesss. These are questions that a vet could answer with some certainty after a physical exam.
DrO

robertjbraun

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, Mar 14, 2005 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you DrO.and Christos,will do as you advise And keep you informed.R.J.B.

robertjbraun

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

DRO.AND Christos ,just a up date on her leg ,its been a little over 3 weeks. I did as you both said she is geting better but it is slow going ,still on one gr of bute a day.

robertjbraun

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, Apr 6, 2005 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

UP DATE A TURN FOR THE WORST .She seem to be doing better then today I she was limping bad I felt her knee and she whent up in the air it really hurt her alot.I had the ferrier come to trim her as is was 12 weeks .He said it is dislocated.I called the Vet.she did not return my call.CAN this be repaired?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM

Post Number: 12499
Posted on Thursday, Apr 7, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A dislocated knee is not a common event and probably not repairable but why don't we wait to be sure we know what is wrong Robert before we contemplate treatment. Did your vet get out there today?
DrO

robertjbraun

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, Apr 7, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

DRO.,No can not get there till Friday. Well take pictures ,well let you know.Poor little filly.

robertjbraun

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, Apr 9, 2005 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well the Vet,was out and took xrays no breaks ,but said maybe a chip on the knee?The x-rays were not clear enough to see good.Said to keep her on bute and keep her in her stall and a5min.walk a day for a month .She if it helps?If not more x rays.Then what?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM

Post Number: 12525
Posted on Saturday, Apr 9, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then what depends on the diagnosis. Lousy field radiographs are a common enough occurence but why is he not going back out there for a good set to confirm or rule out the diagnosis? Does this mean from the physical exam he thinks the inflammation is intra-articular? If it is intraarticular did he tap it to see if infection might be present?
DrO

robertjbraun

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi its been 2 mos.and she still limps and does not run when I let her out.Been on bute 2times a day for 3 weeks seems to help, but still can not put weight on it.How long will this go on?The Vet.will take more x-rays in 2 weeks then what if no better?Can not ever ride her again.Guess I have to put her down.NEVER HAD THIS WITH other horses in my life.

Fran C
Username: Canter

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, Apr 22, 2005 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert,
I urge you to be patient with your horse's injury. If you're not getting answers from your vet, it's time for a second opinion. But sometimes these things simply take a long time to get better. My mare was injured last summer and it took 4 months of stall rest before she re-turned to soundness. If you look through many of the other posts about injuries, many others have had to deal with a lot longer recovery period...although there are unfortunately no guarantees, the possible outcome of a fully recovered horse is worth the wait.

I wish you the best for your mare and hope she will recover fully for you.

Cheryl Hohler
Username: Chohler

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, Apr 22, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert do be patient and see what the xrays show, if it is field xrays they may be like the past ones and not show much, I would push for xrays taken at the clinic and even a second opinion.

I have been dealing with a lameness/wound issue since november.........patience.... I am finally starting to get the issue resolved.

robertjbraun

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, Apr 22, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks to all for your input,we will see what happens.

robertjbraun

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

DRO,I checked the knee and its 1/4 in.bigger then the other one.its over 2mos.and no inproverment,can a chip cause this and can any thing be done about it.Without bute she is in real pain.,whats left to do?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM

Post Number: 12684
Posted on Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Robert,
The thing to be done is what has not been done yet: a good diagnosis so that appropriate treatment and prognosis can be made. There is no use is saying "yes a chip might do this" when there are so many possibilities.
DrO

robertjbraun

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, May 3, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well the new x-rays show a chip on the outside of the left knee .No inprovement still limps bad only 3 years old May14th what a sin,I have a friend that wants her .Is beyyer than putting her down I guess.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM

Post Number: 12749
Posted on Wednesday, May 4, 2005 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am sorry to hear that Robert. Some chips are treatable by removal or if large screwing down. This is best done before arthritis sets in. Are these options?
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC