Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Pulled Muscle?

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vicki
Username: horse4u

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, Feb 11, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I worked my mare in the round pen yesterday. She had a lot of pent up energy and started off the first minute with head tossing, bucking and kicking. After that she did whatever I asked and appeared to be fine. Today, I took her on a trail ride and she seemed "ouchy". She is barefoot and just had her hooves trimmed so I figured that was the problem. However, as we climbed a steep hill, it seemed to be a real effort for her. I rode her a bit more and she just didn't seem like herself. Walking slow, not much energy. Then she hit her hind leg on a log as she walked over it. At that point, I got off, checked her hooves and they seemed fine. I pressed my finger along the muscles in her hind end and she turned her head toward me and flinched when I pressed against her groin area. I decided to walk her back. I was walking too, and noticed that whenever she had to step over an obstacle or pull her hind end up to get up a step in the trail, it appeared quite an effort for her. She stopped a few times and then we continued on. I kept an eye on her for a couple of hours, fed her and walked her back to the pasture. She did not appear to be in pain. When I turned her loose, she just stood there. I finally put a rope around her neck and walked her over to the hay area. She started eating and so I came home. I wonder if I should have given her some bute. I'll call in the AM to check on her. Do you think she could have pulled a muscle and that it only hurts when she does certain things? The ouchiness could be from the trim. The ground here is hard and there are rocks on our trails.
Any suggestions?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 17746
Posted on Monday, Feb 12, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree that at this point it is hard to know what is causing the lameness Vicki, so I would follow the suggestions at, Diseases of Horses » Lameness » First Aid for the Lame Horse.
DrO

Vicki

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, Feb 12, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just got a call from the barn where I board her. She stays in the pasture, not a stall. The report was that she seemed just fine, no hesitation, walking OK, no limping. What a relief! I will go out later today and do a closer inspection. I'll hand walk her on level ground if she appears to be pain free. I'll avoid any hills etc. for a few days. That should be easy since we are expecting snow and ice by tomorrow. Would still like to hear from any of you if you have had similar experiences.

Vicki

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, Feb 12, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I went out this afternoon and she appeared to be fine. I examined her hooves, legs and hind hind. I looked for anything swollen or warm. Nothing. I poked around and found that when I pushed in near her belly/stifle area she started to swish her tail and move away as if the area was tender. It seems to be more the belly than the stifle. I did walk her on a lunge line in both directions for about 15 minutes and did not notice anything abnormal. Her mood seemed fine and if I hadn't felt/seen her struggling on our trail ride, I wouldn't know anything was wrong. So, I guess I'll keep an eye on her. Should I hand walk her on the trail in a week or so and see how she does when climbing uphill and/or stepping over a log?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 17749
Posted on Tuesday, Feb 13, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Vicki,
I don't find the reaction to your pushing in this area as a likely indication of lameness, many horses resent such a push. As to being careful when you go back to riding it sounds reasonable to me.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC