Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Fungus

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Risker
Username: risker

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a mare (BH) recently diagnosed with fungal infection in deep tissue of RF hoof. This condition started with center vertical crack being managed by farrier and apparently, in spite of all efforts, fungus has entered the hoof and slight bulge at coronary band just emerged. Vet recommends taking the mare to University large animal clinic for procedure whereby the hoof is drilled, dremelled out and treated to kill the fungus; then packed with acrylic. I cannot find terms nor details about this procedure. I have read about Clean Trax and regret not knowing about this product before. Now it appears the infection is too involved to trust home cures and as the Vet says, this mare is "too nice" to take any chances.

Susan M. Herrick
Username: quatro

Post Number: 545
Posted on Saturday, Feb 24, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi and Welcome Risker, don't know if it is relevant, but if you look at my recent post on Levi's WLD resection, you might have an idea of what you are in for. I have heard though, not to pack with the acrylic, until all of the fungus is accounted for, it could trap infection in the hoof, and you would delay healing.
Good Luck and we are all here for you!
suz

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 17860
Posted on Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Risker,
From your description I think Susan is on the right track but am uncertain, start with the article Diseases of Horses » Lameness » Diseases of the Hoof » White Line Disease or Onchyomycosis. If this sounds like what they are describing Susan's and several of the other discusssions that follow (see Questions re: most likely WLD...) give excellent histories of individual cases.
DrO

Corinne Meadows
Username: corinne

Post Number: 850
Posted on Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry to interuppt. Susan...emailed your personal email with a dog issue. Don't delete LtSassy1...
Good luck Ricker. Prayers the hoof gets better!

Risker

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you for your replies. I had read everything recommended above and more before my first post, but re-read anyway. I finally gained local support and recommendation to a new farrier who also recommends the mare go to Cornell. Then he has no problem adding my mare to his patient list for regular maintenance and assistance after her surgery. For that, I am truly grateful.

This picture of RF crack was taken weeks ago and shows evidence of Keratex putty complete with bits of hay - taken just prior to cleaning and re-dressing.

I will call Cornell in the morning for appointment and keep you advised of her progress.
Thanks again,
Risker

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 17868
Posted on Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Risker, this is pretty routine and often done without a general anesthesia, is there a reason your vet wants to refer?
DrO

Risker

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. Oglesby, I believe my vet makes a lot of referrals to large animal hospitals in lieu of assuming the task, but I really don't have the answer. I know she likes the farrier at Cornell and I depend on her. Hence, I'm somewhat between a rock and hard place. I am assuming the term for this procedure is "resection"? But, beyond my Vet's recommendation I do not know who to trust and do not want to take chances. There are not a lot of farriers in this area, and probably few if any with the experience to perform the procedure AND willing to take on yet another horse. I wish I could find where this procedure is detailed step-by-step.
Thank you,
Risker

Risker

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is this what they are going to do? http://www.equipodiatry.com/wldupdt.htm

Beverly
Username: jockyrdg

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Risker;
You will find a lot of good information here, as this is not an uncommon problem. Years ago I had a mare lose over half of her hoof wall to WLD. She was treated at New Bolton Farrier services, remained sound and in work throughout the 9 months it took for the wall to grow down. Micheal Wildenstein, the farrier at Cornell is top in the World and actually presented a thesis on WLD to a farrier-veterinary board in 2002 or 3? You would be in excellent hands. From my experience, Susan has the magic bullet- keep everything open - don't pack with acrylic. My mare's original appointment resulted in a massive amount of hoof wall being dremeled away so that only healthy tissue was left. Unlike a laminitis resection the tissue had solidified under the diseased horn. Rather than try to shore up the hoof with acrylics they created a "bridge" from good horn on the left outside to good horn on the right inside with Kevlar and epoxy. Thus I could clean out the hoof resection daily while still having the hoof supported. I live in a pretty sophisticated area of the country with some very high tech award winning farriers, but few have the leading edge material resources that the universities have. Most wanted to come by and see what Sigafoos had done. Have confidence in Cornel's Wildenstein- he is the top in this field.

Risker

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, Feb 25, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh Beverly, thank you. I feel like I can take a breath now; maybe even get some restful sleep without downloading hooves through my mind. I will be sure to pass along your compliment to Wildenstein.
Risker

Risker

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, Feb 28, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

BH is scheduled at Cornell Tues Mar 6th to see Mike Wildenstein. When I called to make the appointment, I couldn't believe they put me straight through to him. I didn't waste any of his time since I could hear the banging of iron against anvil in the background. After squaring away the appointment and still trying to educate myself, I ran across Fran Jurga's Hoofblog http://hoofcare.blogspot.com/ stating on Feb 23rd that Wildenstein is leaving Cornell at the end of this semester. Does anyone know yet where he's going???
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC