Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Orange Urine from a horse

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mona Weiss
Username: Kitz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, Jan 31, 2003 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a white horse with a white penis who has started urinating in an orange color within the last 48 hourse (to my knowledge). I have never heard of anything related to ORANGE (brighter red- orange, like Kool-Aid!) color. I know urine gets dark if they are dehydrated, and coffee-colored if they tie up. But ORANGE?!

I fear there is blood in the urine. I have yet to be able to collect any. I am seeing the orange for the first time today in the SNOW, as well as fresh shaving I put in last night. He has NO OTHER symptoms at all.

My only other thought is that this white horse DOES produce smegma in this exact same shade/ color (it's quite freakish). So, I am wondering ... since everything else seems so normal (he's running around bucking, exhuberent, etc,.) , if it's something to do with that. It finally got warm enough to clean his sheath today (it's 33 degrees), so I am going to go clean it and see if I find anything strange.

In the meantime, ANY IDEAS? HELP!

Becky Little
Username: Beezle

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, Jan 31, 2003 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have seen this occasionally with my horses in the snow. I think I read somewhere that the urine has some reaction in the snow that changes the color to orange. Not sure where I read this and if I am way off, I am sure others will chime in...

Becky

Becky Little
Username: Beezle

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, Jan 31, 2003 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey - just figured out where I read this (duh!). It was in the article on this site!

Look in Diseases of the Horse/Urinary/Normal Urination in Horses, article "What is Normal Urination in Horses".

Mona Weiss
Username: Kitz

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, Jan 31, 2003 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Becky --

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION! I will keep an eye out ... but for now, you sure have alleviated my worries. I liked where Emily discussed her studies of the urine -- it came out yellow, but turned RED after sitting in the snow for several hours. THANKS AGAIN!

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 7707
Posted on Saturday, Feb 1, 2003 - 7:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Great job Becky!
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC