Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Wobbly hocks in 18 month old warmblood

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cathy Branson
Username: cathyb1

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a 18 month old warmblood, recently gelded. He had an operation for OCD of the hock joint at 12 months, which all went well. He has never been lame, even with the OCD prior to the operation, just a bit of a bog spavin on the affected hock. The OCD lesions were not on weight bearing parts of the joint, or near any attachment points for ligaments. The procedure was pretty straightforward. My concern is that this gelding, when viewed from the rear as he walks away from you, has a sideways wobble in his hocks as the leg is on the ground and pushing away behind him. I have seen this in older horses sometimes. Is this a weakness? Is it because his ligaments are loose? He has outstanding movement, but this wobble concerns me. I think that as a foal he had some front leg problems, a little bit droopy in the front fetlocks, which were rectified with boots. Is this wobble something he will grow out of, or should I be more concerned about it now? As I said, he is not lame, and moves evenly.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 18567
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Cathy,
I am uncertain what you mean by a wobble. What are the chances of catching this on digital video and sending this too me?
DrO

LL
Username: frances

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've noticed this in some horses too when walking behind them, and have always wondered whether it meant anything serious was wrong. It's as if the leg becomes unstable when asked to bear weight and push backwards, as you say, and kind of sags to the side. Sometimes it's been just the one leg.

I'll also be interested to read what DrO makes of it.

Beverly
Username: jockyrdg

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It would be great to have a video. The description sounds like something we refer to as torque; the appearance is that when the hind foot is placed the hock rotates towards the outside through the movement of the step. One of the hardest things with horses, riding or care is getting a description where everyone is on the same wave length. Video would be wonderful. With all the various posts and video's sent maybe a video library is in the site's future, or have I missed that section?
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 1997 - 2016
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC