Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Achille tendon

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Isabella Forcella
Username: Isabe

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 - 5:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Mr. O,
I carefully read the article concerning tendon injury but I have not found anything about injury of the Achille tendon in horses.
My mare, 10-years old, came out from her box one week ago with a severe lameness on her right hock. She could hardly walk and rest her right limb on the toe. The vet diagnosed an injury of the Achille tendon, with inflammation of the tendon sheath (a swollen area is visible on the internal side just above the hock).
We have treated this with 7 days fynadine (7cc per day), 4 days dexadreson (2 days 6 cc and 4 days 4 cc), cool bandages 3 times a day and a local pomata and box rest. My vet told me this kind of injury are not common and this is the first case she personally saw. The prognosis she gave me is 12 months. Do you have ever had such a case? Would it magnetotherapy or elettroterapy useful for healing? I do not know if my post is clear enough, unfortunately my English is not so good, but I hope you can help me.
Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.

Isabella - Italy
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 9796
Posted on Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Isabella,
The achilles tendon is the combined superficial and deep flexor tendon. Not only can trauma occur but the tendon is susceptible to luxation where it comes out of normal track it runs over the calcaneus, see Equine Diseases Lameness Diseases of the Upper Rear Limb Overview of Diseases of the Hock (Tarsus). Without knowing the nature and severity of the injury it is impossible to guess what might be proper therapy. Continued rest and antiinflammatories is rational in almost any case but the two you mention are really just ancillary and experimental treatments. Ultrasound and radiographs might better define the problem making specfic therapy and prognosis possible.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC