Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Hoof Heat

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nadia F
Username: Nadia

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My horse has warm hooves - on and off. It is cold and snowy here. I felt his hooves one night when it was very cold - wondered how his feet were holding up. All were very warm. My hands were fairly warm as I had just arrived from my warm car. I walked/trotted him around the arena for a bit. After that - they were all cool (my hands have cooled off by this time, too). I have noticed around this time that he won't give me his feet to clean (he is usually very good) - prances around alot - walks away from me. If it is really cold, we don't ride, but run around the arena for a bit. Sometimes he wants to run around with me, but often he doesn't - almost have to pull him along. He'll walk more often than trot. I now check his feet every time I see him - they start out warm (sometimes 1 or 2 will be warm-sometimes all) - but cool off after walking/riding. I would not say he is lame, but I can't be sure. I try to look but it's not easy to trot along and look. He is outside all day eating lots of hay (and a small amt of grass)- has a good,heavy blanket. He gets about 2 1/2 lbs of sweet feed twice a day.

Should I be concerned about this heat?
Is this normal for his hooves to react this way to cold snow?
Could he have mild laminitis symptoms?

Thanks.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 9868
Posted on Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No this is not a reason to be concerned as long as the horse is otherwise healthy and sound. It is normal for there to be variation in a horses hooves temperature particulary during extremes.
DrO

Nadia F
Username: Nadia

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks, Dr O! I worry I can overlook symptoms of bigger problems with these darn horses!

Robin Levine
Username: Rob10549

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am currently experiencing a similar problem. My horse has always had sensitive feet after shoeing although in the past year he's been ok. It is not unusual for us to give him bute and the day off after he's shod. This week he was shod on Monday. On Wednesday when I went to clean his hooves I noticed the front left was warmer than all the others. My farrier was at the barn so he took a look at and hoof tested him and found the outer side of the hoof a bit sensitive. He pulled and replaced the nail and then two trainers watched him go under saddle and he looked totally fine. We rode him for a half hour and saw no issues. Last night my trainer gave him bute. This morning when I got to the barn his left front hoof was still warm and so was his pastern and so was his cannon, yet his back, right hoof was also warm to the touch. My trainer rode him and he was completely fine. No sign of lameness whatsoever. No one seems to think it's serious and they are telling me not to worry but, of course, I am concerned. I would like to be educated about such issues.

Thanks, Robin

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 10414
Posted on Sunday, May 9, 2004 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Check out these articles Robin:
Equine Diseases Lameness
  • Diseases of the Hoof
  • Problems Following Shoeing or Trimming
  • Hoof Abscesses, Bruises, and Gravels

DrO

Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC