Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Overflexion of the hock

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Isabella Forcella
Username: Isabe

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear Dr. O',

There is a horse in my stable who suddenly started to overflex one hock by galopping.
In italian we called this "arpeggio" and is normally observed at walk and trot, not at galop.
Somebody told the owner it should be arthrosis, but it seems to me a bit strange. Normally horses with arthrosis to the hock reduce the flexion istead of increasing it.
What do you think about it?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Regards

Isabella

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 10454
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Isabella,
I am not familar with the term "arpeggio" is reference to horses. Are you talking about the disease called "Stringhalt" (see Equine Diseases Lameness Diseases of the Upper Rear Limb Stringhalt)? If so the article has a description along with a list of possible diseases that are confused with it.
DrO

Isabella Forcella

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dear DrO,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, what I meant is Stringhalt. I read the article and in fact what was known to me is that this problem is normally more evident at walk than at trot and canter. In this case the problem increases drammatically at canter and is not present at walk. As I can understand this has nothing to do with arthrosis, which has a complete different type of lameness. Am I wrong?

Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards

Isabella

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 10465
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As long as we both mean the same thing when you say "overflex the hock" I agree that this would not be a typical presentation for a arthrosis and would concentrate on the list of rule outs presented in the article on Stringhalt.
DrO

Christos Axis
Username: Christos

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Isabella,
Are you sure that this overflexion is involuntary?
There are several reasons for a horse to purposely overflex the hock, like too tight a girth or annoying rider's legs/spurs.
Some horses will try to "step" over the girth if you crank it up too fast / tight.
We have a mare that will successfully kick your heel off her side if you push her too much. At any gait, that is, and with no other complaint/ misbehaving.
Behavioural issues like these have to be differentiated from stringhalt, which is clearly involuntary.

Isabella Forcella

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 5:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Christos,
Sorry for answering only today, I have not checked the site for a while. I think the iperflexion is involuntary. I have not seen the horse for two weeks now (is not mine) but he has never done it before. What surprised me is what vet diagnosed: arthrosis. I saw many horses suffering from arthrosis and no one acted like this. I also wonder how a vet can diagnose arthrosis wihout X-ray.
Thank you for your input.

Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC