Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Foal, front legs buckel under.

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Guy M. Davis II
Username: davisguy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, Aug 21, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm new here, and I'm looking after my in-laws farm. Three week ago one of their Mares had a colt. The colt has been getting worse with her front legs buckling back at the fetlock, and Pastern joint. It started with just her left leg but has progressed to both. I've been trying to find out as much as I can, and our local Vet. can no longer able to get around and only handles house pets.

Stacy Upshaw
Username: 36541

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, Aug 22, 2008 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome to Horseadvice Guy, I'm sure you will find some help here. Dr. O usually reviews posts during the day, but there are night owls online all the time! Is the foal otherwise healthy? Eating, wanting to play? Is the gait abnormal yet? Lastly, can you post a picture because I am unsure of the joint problem by the description. Is the fetlock getting closer to the ground on the left? Are the knees normal? Was the foal born at term vs. premature? The more info the better in most cases... Stacy Upshaw

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 21236
Posted on Friday, Aug 22, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Guy,
Your horse is suffering from a progressively worsening digital flexor contracture. The article associated with this discussion area has a lot of information on this but I can say from the information provided so far you are going to need professional help with this. To access the article click on Tendon Laxity and Contracture on the navigation bar above.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 1997 - 2016
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC