Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Frequent urination while riding

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Casper
Username: aussiesr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

when i ride my 6 year old gelding he will stop and urinate as many as 5 times in an hour and a half. it is a normal amount each time and seems clear? could it be caused from having weight on his kidneys? he is a short backed horse?

Sara Wolff
Username: mrose

Post Number: 4791
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That isn't a normal amount of urinating. I'm sure Dr.O will comment as I'm no vet, but from a lifetime with horses, I'd say that is an inordinate amount of stopping to urinate. Does he also urinate a lot when at home? I think a first step would be to get some blood work or an urinalysis done.

As to weight on the kidneys, I don't know how heavy you are and how big the horse is, but regardless, if you have your saddle possitioned right,( unless it's a very big saddle on a very little horse,) and you are sitting in the right place, there should be no weight on the kidneys.

Mike Casper

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

he does not urinate alot while he just out in the pasture. he is a small horse with a short back.
My saddle is a barrel saddle and i weigh about 170
that why i was wondering about the kidneys. He doesn't act sick and his urine looks fine. I thought it might be nerves but he is not a nervous type horse.

Vicki Zaneis
Username: vickiann

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sara makes a good point about whether the saddle might sit too far back, especially possible if the horse has a short back.

I think that some horses will stop more often to urinate sometimes due to general discomfort from a saddle problem or due to fitness issues. It feels good for them to stop and stretch out and they have learned that stopping and stretching is permissible if they urinate.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 22818
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Mike,
No, pressure on the back over the kidneys is not a cause of increased urination. You would be amazed at how much muscle, tissue, and space there is between that point on the back and the kidneys. And the kidneys are more like a filter than they are a sponge.

But why your horse would have normal urination at all other times is a little hard to figure Mike and makes me wonder if that is a good observation or if the pony is not emptying out at each stop. It is hard to believe normal kidneys would be able to filter that much water in an hour.

Hmmm...let me ask you do you pretreat the ride with any medication or electrolytes? Does your horse have any other health issues?
DrO

Mike Casper

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

no issues that i know of. when he went 5 times it was excessive even for him. I don't treat him with anything. His yearly is coming up anything you would reccommend to talk with the vet about?

Jesse Mitchell
Username: mitch316

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmm..another puzzle on HA. I am curious too about why he would only do it when on rides. If he started doing it out of the blue and did it all the time, it would at least narrow down a bit. And you say it is clear? What about the consistency...is it smooth and thin, like water, or thicker than you would say a normal horse is? Did you notice any "flecks" or spots in it?

Diane E.
Username: scooter

Post Number: 3972
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well I can tell you what my coniving horse did...exactly what Vicki said, he learned if he stretched out to pee he got to rest AND he ate grass while he was doing it! I don't know HOW they can make themselves pee...but he did. He never went 5 times on a ride but he usually managed 2 or 3 times on a couple hour ride.

Once I put 2 and 2 together...no more eating grass when peeing AND a little hard work when he was done. The habit disappeared rather quickly and never came back.

Mike Casper

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

as far as i can tell it is clear and normal.
Diane describes something that is a very good possibilty with this horse. Once the vet checks him out and he continues i will try changing some things while i am riding.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 22824
Posted on Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mike, you should discuss with your veterinarian having the kidneys checked for normal function and you can read more about that at Diseases of Horses » Urinary System » Kidney Disease and Failure in the Horse.

That said Diane's suggestion that this is behavioral rather than disease is most consistent with the facts as you present them: has your horse trained you to stop and take a break? In general I finds animals much better trainers than people.
DrO

Mike Casper

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

you are probaly right. He is a very sly guy.
I will take your suggestion and be well informed when i go to the vet.
thanks

Karen Dormaar
Username: karend

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, Jun 17, 2010 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So what ever happened with this problem? When I was reading all this and 2 other posts, I felt I reading about my horse. He is a 8 yr old QH and he dose the same things only he will pull the same tricks in an arena where there is no grass.
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC