Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Strange "wrinkle" looking swelling on mares neck?

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Teri
Username: lvmyhors

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, Jun 12, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dr. O,
I have a 4 yr. old Paint mare that has a strange, wrinkley looking area on the side of her neck approx. 8-10 inches in diameter. When examining it she let me know that it was very tender yet I could feel no heat or swelling in the area other than the ridges on the "wrinkles".
She has had no changes in her diet which consists of free choice timothy-grass hay and pasture along with a can of oats once a day. She has not been recently wormed or vaccinated and the only thing I've done differently with her is used a new fly spray 2 days ago on her entire body and some MTG on her tail head for an itching problem. If you would like I can take a picture and show you what I am describing, but I've never seen anything like it!
thanks in advance

Sara Wolff
Username: mrose

Post Number: 5046
Posted on Friday, Jun 12, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is the hair white and the skin pink under the spot? Is this spot exposed to the sun more than another area of her body due to where she stands? where her stall window is? Is this the only place she has any bumps or weird spots, even small ones? Is she on alfalfa or any grass/hay with clover in it?

Teri

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, Jun 12, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Sara, Yes the hair is white and the skin is maybe just a tiny bit pink, and she's out on pasture all day so she's equally exposed to the sun. It is also the only spot where this is and she did get a few bites of alfalfa yesterday when I dropped some on the way to my pregnant mares pen, but it wasn't even a full flake. I was wondering if the new fly spray had caused some kind of reaction, but wouldn't it be on her entire body?

Jennifer R.
Username: jjrichar

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, Jun 12, 2009 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Teri,

How long have these 'wrinkles' been there?
Is it possible it's sunburn? Pink skin burns easily in the sun and a lot of times requires some sort of sunblock. Doesn't sound like an allergy since its only in the one spot, but then again sometimes pink skin can be more sensitive. Maybe the new fly spray has something in it like oil, that exacerbates a sunburn much like if a person puts on baby oil, etc. Just a thought...

Sara Wolff

Post Number: 5047
Posted on Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jennifer, that's what I was wondering. When I've seen reactions to spray, it's been more like hives and all over the horse. Unless, I guess, this one spot got an extra heavy dose.

I know Paints are susceptable to sun burn and also to a photosynthesistic reaction from the sun expecially when eating legume hays. I don't know if they can get it otherwise. But, the one case I've seen looked a lot like what you are describing, Teri.

LL
Username: frances

Post Number: 887
Posted on Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some years ago 4 horses at our barn (including mine) had allergic skin reactions to a fly spray. As far as I remember they had patches of completely hardened skin from which the hair eventually came out in tufts. Presumably, as Sara suggested, the affected patches had received more spray.

Diane E.
Username: scooter

Post Number: 4364
Posted on Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a horse react to skin so soft like that! I'd be highly suspicious of the fly spray. It seems if they have a reaction to it it isn't always their whole body just a certain spot or spots.

If I use a certain oil based spray on Hank his chest/front of neck area will crinckle then peel off. Took me awhile to figure out what it was because it wasn't a "whole body" reaction.

What kind of new fly spray did you use?

Teri

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Diane, I usually use Bronco but I thought I'd try "Zonk" because it's supposed to be gentle yet last longer. I haven't used it on her since and I'm going to give her a bath tomorrow and put some tea tree or aloe on it.
Thanks everyone for your great responses!

Diane E.
Username: scooter

Post Number: 4368
Posted on Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Teri I tried Zonk it many years ago...don't remember which horse anymore, but they had a reaction to it. I didn't even use the whole bottle up....It is suppose to be gentle...so they say.

I suppose there is no fly spray that isn't capable of some kind of reaction...hope the bath helps your girl.

I have also heard of MTG causing reactions too. You never know with these beasts

Sara Wolff

Post Number: 5060
Posted on Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Our black stallion is very sensitive to stuff on his skin. I've been using Eqyss products and Healthy Hairy products on him and have had no problems. The Eqyss Marigold spray works well for flies.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 23184
Posted on Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Teri,
How long did it take for this to grow to this size and besides wrinkly and some white hairs are there other changes. Yes a good image, in focus with good light would help.
DrO

Teri

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, Jun 14, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dr. O, The patch I'm referring to just seemed to appear overnight on her white neck, (she's a bay and white Paint). It has not gotten any bigger, nor has it gotten smaller but it does seem to be less tender to the touch. I'll get a picture of it in the morning so you'll have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Teri

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, Jun 15, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well Dr. O, I went out to take a picture of my mares "wrinkles" and they were just about gone! The skin is now flaking something fierce in the spot in question so I'm seriously wondering if she had a bad sunburn brought on by the new fly spray!?! I've been using my old spray on her and haven't had anymore problems since...

Vicki
Username: kpaint

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Was the new fly spray oil based?

Jennifer R.
Username: jjrichar

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I believe Zonk is a little on the oily side from what I remember. I used it before and didn't have any reactions with it, but I also keep mine out of the sun during the summer.

I did have a reaction with my one gelding to Pyranha spray n wipe in the spray bottle. He broke out in hives all over. But he is fine with the aerosol version of Pyranha, which is kind of weird.

I recently tried Tri-tec14 which has sunscreen in it... it is not oily and it works well but not for the 14 day period they say it will.
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC