Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on DRO is this legit?

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

leslie645
Username: leslie1

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There was an arabian horse flown in to California with CEM. Some new strain (not the same strain in KY or Canada). It was reported on the USDA site here:
http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?mode=simple&navid=SEARCH&q=contagio us&site=usda&x=1
but now cannot the link cant be opened up up :/

*There are conspiracy theory about it because the it was a Saudi horse, and everything is so hush hush.

I appreciate being able to come here and get legit, up-to-the-minute info from you:-) Thanks
leslie

Guy Ramsey
Username: gramsey1

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/hot_issues/cem/index.shtml

Sara Wolff
Username: mrose

Post Number: 5925
Posted on Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

From the usda web site:

May 2010 Case – California

In May 2010, the USDA’s National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) confirmed that an Arabian stallion on a southern California premises was positive for Taylorella equigenitalis, the bacterium that causes contagious equine metritis (CEM). The NVSL also determined that the strain of the isolated bacterium does not match any T. equigenitalis strains previously found in the United States, indicating this case is not related to the CEM outbreak detected in December 2008.

The positive stallion was imported into the United States in March 2010 from a country not known to be affected by CEM. It is not yet known whether the imported stallion was positive at the time of his importation or was exposed after importation. An epidemiologic investigation is underway and will pursue all available information relative to determining the origin of this T. equigenitalis strain.

In addition to the one positive stallion, another 22 horses have been exposed to T. equigenitalis. The 23 horses are located in or are being traced to 7 States, including 6 exposed or positive stallions and 17 exposed mares. The positive stallion and all other exposed horses that have been located are under quarantine or hold order. Testing and treatment protocols are being put into action for all located horses.

An exposed horse is one that was bred to a positive horse, either naturally or via artificial insemination, or one that is otherwise epidemiologically linked to a positive horse, as determined by State and Federal animal health officials.

leslie645

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I cant seem to open that link at the "read more". Which goes into detail what happened.
From what I understand he sold 100 breedings to the stallion, but I dont know how that effects the US/customs etc.

can u guys open that link , completely?
THX
Leslie}

leslie645

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Sara:-)
Will this be bad for Arabian breeding here in the US?

Sara Wolff
Username: mrose

Post Number: 5926
Posted on Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think it will affect things too much. I haven't read anything except what I posted. AHA, to it's credit, and most breeders, are pretty concientious. If this is an imported stallion, his fees are high and only top breeders will be able to afford his breedings. Most breedings are done AI also, often using frozen semen. All the semen for AI is tested and if infection was found mare and stallion owner both would be notified. I don't know of anyone with an expensive stallion that is doing "in hand" breedings due to the level of risk to the stallion. Not saying it's not done, but I don't know of anyone who does these days.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 24885
Posted on Monday, Jun 14, 2010 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello All, Sara and Guy have done a good job providing information about this case. However I do not see any reason to suspect sabotage leslie and unlikely to have a significant effect on the Arabian breeding industry as a hold.
DrO

leslie645

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Monday, Jun 14, 2010 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hehehe I figured as much but you know how rumours fly...apparently they thought the horse was snuck into the country.

Thanks to Guy, Sara and DRO

best wishes
leslie
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC