Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Non painful pastern swelling 5 wks after onset

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Author Message
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ELIZABETH NEFZGER
New Member
Username: witheror

Post Number: 2
Registered: 7-2010
Posted on Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My 3 yr old QH stallion came up lame one evening after fussing with a gelding through the fence. At first I noticed only a cut on his hindquarter and treated it. On the ride that evening he began to limp so I turned around and walked him home. It was a very slight limp. At closer inspection I saw some swelling, so I cold hosed, gave him some bute and wrapped it for support. For the next few days I continued with that round of treatment plus stall rest and the swellling would be down upon taking the wrap off and sometimes in different places. He was no longer limping- no heat etc. No pain at flexion. Finally stopped treatment about a week ago and there is still a marked difference in the size of this pastern area compared to the other. It's been well over a month. Is it time for xrays and ultrasound? Should I do the DMSO route? This horse is a performance bred horse in training and I have big plans for him. At this point I'm not sure I should have been as cavalier about this from the beginning but I assumed since the lameness was sutble I could treat it myself and wait it out. Advice needed!! Thank you.
ping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vicki Z
Member
Username: vickiann

Post Number: 2176
Registered: 3-2005
Posted on Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Little injuries can turn into very big deals.

I've overlooked a minor leg problem that was not apparent or visible at all to have it turn into an infection.

If it were my horse I would call my veterinarian now, but I would have called before it got to this point.

Wouldn't mess around with DMSO if there may be an infection.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Moderator
Username: dro

Post Number: 25037
Registered: 1-1997
Posted on Sunday, Aug 1, 2010 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Elizabeth,
Considering your goals and the history I do think it is time for a careful examination by a veterinarian and from that exam comes the decision to pursue further diagnostics and which ones to use.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Post:
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC