Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Swelling on gelding scrotum

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charlotte Pinkall
Username: ponsford

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, Sep 5, 2010 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've recently noticed my 11 yr old gelding is swollen on one side of his scrotum. I't not hot and doesn't appear to bother him. Is there some common cause of this?

Thanks!

DianE
Username: scooter

Post Number: 7084
Posted on Sunday, Sep 5, 2010 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Could he have been bit by something...2 of the 4 horses here got stung by a wasp last week. Took a good week for the swelling to go down.

Charlotte Pinkall
Username: ponsford

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, Sep 5, 2010 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think it's a bite. No bite mark, that I could find, and the swelling is smooth and that whole side is swollen. The other side looks normal.

Melissa
Username: mysi

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, Sep 6, 2010 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Charlotte, one of my horses ha a HUGE swollen eye the a couple weeks back. Both lids were swollen shutting the eye. I called my vet (it was a Saturday night) and she said that it could be a range of things one including a bug bite but that she would come out on Sunday. I didn't see any place with a bite. I gave her bute to help with pain and inflammation and woke up the next morning and the swelling was gone. There was a sting of some sort that was visible when the swelling was gone.

Vicki Z
Username: vickiann

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Monday, Sep 6, 2010 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have had a similar problem with one of my geldings.

My Veterinarian told me to hose the swelling and give Bute for 2 or 3 days, but my horse was having some discomfort on account of the problem and difficulty with dropping down to urinate.

It turned out that the horse was not moving around very much (and this will encourage swelling) as he popped an abscess in a front foot on the same side as the swelling around the same time frame.

My Vet told me that as horses age it is not that uncommon to have swelling on one side or the other due to less efficient circulation, but my guy is much older than yours.

That said, sometimes insect bites do not leave a mark or marks are very hard to see when an area is swollen.

You may be wise to do a bit of observation to see if your gelding is getting enough exercise, and if not, his swelling may benefit from some hosing and additional exercise.

DianE
Username: scooter

Post Number: 7091
Posted on Monday, Sep 6, 2010 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We didn't see the stingers until almost all the swelling was gone, otherwise it was a smooth pretty big swelling. Hanks didn't get warm, his was back by his flank, it did seem to bother him the first day or two.

The boarders horse got stung on the cheek! hers did have a little heat with it so the owner gave her bute.

TheresaB
Username: theresab

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, Sep 6, 2010 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My old gelding would swell in his scrotum when he wasn't moving around much. His front feet were sore due to a poor trim job and all he wanted to do was stand in the pile of shavings instead of move about. I bought some Old Mac's and put them on his front feet and that helped. As long as he was moving he was pretty good. I use to take him on 20-30 minute walks to encourage movement. As he got older (late 20's) his arthritis would keep him from moving around and the sheath swelling would be the first sign. We kept him on CFS solution, the kind only available through the vet, and that kept him mobile. Towards then end I had him on steroids and vitamin B shots and he thought he was a young stud again.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 25150
Posted on Monday, Sep 6, 2010 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Charlotte,
There is no common reasons other than all the common causes of swellings that occur elsewhere, including trauma. If it persists or if signs of soreness arise you should have your vet check it out.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC