Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Prepurchase - what to accept

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

obie1dog
Username: obie1dog

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, Mar 18, 2011 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just did a pre-purchase on an OTTB just coming 4, last race was in October last year and he has only had 5 starts. No obvious signs of lameness. He flexed negative on 8 different flexions but had a positive on the upper left hind. He was showing a 1 before the flexion that you couldnt see on a circle. Trotting in a straight line he swung out slightly wider on left than right and she gave it a 1 out of 5. He is base narrow behind. She also described that he had fetlock vulgas that was mild and thought could be managed with shoeing. Based on these findings she said I should pass on the horse given the 2 issues. She strongly susupected that the mild soreness in hock was coming from the lower joint although no swelling was felt. Dr. O what are you thoughts on this. I plan on using the horse for some jumping and dressage maybe some low level eventing

Ann
Username: dres

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Friday, Mar 18, 2011 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am not Dr. O but obie... why did you pay a vet for a pre purchase exam if you are not going to heed her warning...
That would be all i need if a vet said PASS... they have seen a heck of a lot more horses grade 1 go to grade 3 with work... and the work you want is going to tax the legs...
Just my humble opinion

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them with spots..
.. .

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 25620
Posted on Sunday, Mar 20, 2011 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello obie1,
The problem with such a question is that we don't know what your capacity for taking risks are. If you have low tolerance for risk (at best any horse only has a 70% chance of achieving new goals) and/or your resources are not unlimited, you may want to heed her advice. In general I don't recommend buying a horse that is lame before the flexions. If you think her call of lameness a bit rash I would seek a second opinion.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC