Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Yearling with short stride behind

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

marjabe
Username: marjabe

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, Nov 28, 2011 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of our yearlings have a short stride in the jog with one hindleg, she does it more when she goes slow.
We had an osteopath looking at her and she did not find something particular and thought it can be from growing, but we are a bit worried.
We did not do a lot of longeing with this yearling, just now and then and she grew up in the pasture where she also was born.
I made a video of her maybe someone regognize this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM7CSfuSxf8

Judy Henslee
Username: judyhens

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, Nov 28, 2011 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nice filly. I am having a hard time seeing it. The white foot may contribute toward the "perception" of a difference. Is the white fetlock a little bigger than the other one or is that an optical illusion? Interesting to see what Dr. O says.
Good luck with your pretty filly!
Judy

Angel Alverio
Username: taino

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, Nov 28, 2011 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Two years ago I had same problem with a two years old Paseo Horse. At the end it was my fault. To many creatinine in supplements produce a bad reaction in Blood Balance creating the burning of muscles. The system start consuming its own muscles and it shows the most when exercise. Lots of IV to clean the system was my treatment and it works. Funny it was in the same leg.

Angel

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 26075
Posted on Tuesday, Nov 29, 2011 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome marjabe,
In the above video during portions at the beginning the horse is lame on the left hind but the appearance of the lameness does not tell us why the horse is painful. I do not see any reason to judge this is because she is growing but the osteopath is right from a statistical point of view: most lameness problems correct themselves with time.

To further pursue a diagnosis and get a prognosis a full exam and workup should be done. For more on how to diagnose the lameness see HorseAdvice.com » Diseases of Horses » Lameness » Localizing Lameness in the Horse.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC