Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Coffin bone cyst

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

RRW
Username: greeleyt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O:
I recently purchased a 4 yo TB colt that is currently in training and actively racing. I "Claimed" the horse at Churchill Downs where he actually ran a good race. The night of the race he had no swelling or heat in any joints.

The horse is extremely well behaved and appeared sound but possibly muscle sore for a few days. Upon nailing his rt front shoe he responded badly and needed to be sedated to finish.
He took a few bad steps in training and the trainer decided to get some radiographs of his rt front foot and knee.

The vet thought there may be a coffin bone cyst and maybe a old bone chip in his knee.

The horse trained fairly well mainly jogging and the vet blocked his foot with subq sarapin nerve block a couple days before the next race. He ran well (2nd) and came back basically unchanged.

My question is, could you review the X-rays and give your opinion as to if there is a cyst or chip and how you would handle his care?

RRW
Username: greeleyt

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O

The radiographs would not upload, Is it possible to mail you the disk or any other way to try to get the images to you?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 26141
Posted on Friday, Jan 20, 2012 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome RRW,
Not being an orthopedic surgeon I would recommend you have your veterinarian send them to a such a person for evaluation. If you can get the radiographs posted I would be glad to review them but I do not give specific treatment recommendations without being able to examine the horse. To help you with uploading the radiographs see HorseAdvice.com » Help & Information on Using This Site » Uploading Images and Files Into a Posting.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC