Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Transporting Yearling with Contracted Tendons

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CCTexas
Username: indigo

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, Jun 29, 2015 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dr. O,

I have a yearling pony that has over the past month developed started buckling over at the knee. It was extremely mild until she was hauled to a show this past weekend and stalled on concrete (with shavings, but probably still quite hard.) Now it has gotten worse and I need to get her home. Thus far she does not seem to have any pain, no swelling, no heat etc. She is not at all overweight. She can straighten her front legs and often does stand straight but at times she buckles forward. Her diet has been adjusted, she is being given Rejuvenaide and her exercise program was decreased and has now been halted. I need to transport her home, which is about a 12 hour drive. Is there anything I should do special to protect her legs? Would wrapping help give her support or is it better to haul her with nothing on her legs? Would banamine or bute be helpful for the ride? I'm attaching a very small picture taken last week so you can see the contracture.

Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 26878
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 1, 2015 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello CC,
Providing support would require a very thick bandage that went from the ground to the elbows and make it very difficult for her to move around. Perhaps best would be to trailer her in a stock or open type trailer, thickly bedded, and not tie her in case she fell. If she has trouble standing she may lay down. Of course any option you choose is not without risks also. I don't think a NSAID will be helpful.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 1997 - 2016
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC