Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Swollen Udder in Non Pregnant mare

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ann Knight
Username: Annknigh

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, Sep 25, 2005 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of my mare's udders swelled suddenly. It goes down with exercise and you can express some milky white fluid. We are culturing it to see if infection is present and the vet suggested antibiotics until we can determine the cause. When it is swollen it is very tender. She is not pregnant (as far as I know) and has no other symptoms. No generalized fever, however the udder is warm. I read the article on swelling, but saw no reference to udder swelling. Did I miss it?

I noticed the swelling on a Thursday, and I was aware that the mare was approaching heat on Sunday by her behavior. I dont know exactly when she is/was in heat.

Any ideas? She is on STrongid C2x daily wormer and I was wondering if that has a hormonal affect. She and my gelding have both been on it since May, and my gelding is bulking up like a stud and my mare is making what looks like milk.. Just a thought?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 13793
Posted on Monday, Sep 26, 2005 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If it is possible she has been bred perhaps you ought to have her checked. However sometimes unbred mares, particularly multiparous mares, develop a thin milk, particularly if they are in a fleshy or greater condition. It can be difficult to judge heat and sensitivity in this area as it normally stays warmer and some mares are more sensitive here but doing a cytology (not a culture) on the fluid should give you the answer. If it looks inflammatory then a careful culture can be done. If it is just thin milk I would do nothing unless her condition is a little over the top. Milking will usually just stimulate more production.
DrO

Ann Knight

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, Sep 26, 2005 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I do not think it is possible that she was bred. There was a young stud at the barn, but he was gelded over a year ago in June or July (if I remember correctly). I had taken her to a couple of shows in September and October last year, but as far as I know, nothing happened. If she were pregnant, she would have to be pretty far along and wouldn't she be fat or showing other signs? She may be a tiny bit larger than usual, as the girth is one hole looser than normal, but not anything more than that. Plus only one udder is swollen, and if she were pregnant, wouldn't they both be enlarged. To my knowledge, this mare has not had a baby before.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM

Post Number: 13802
Posted on Tuesday, Sep 27, 2005 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

When I read the first post I could not decide if you meant "one of my mares" as in you have more than one mare or if you meant "one of my mare's" as in one teat on your mare and decided on the former do to the punctuation. One side does suggest trauma or infection to me.
DrO

Ann Knight

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, Sep 27, 2005 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One udder is swollen. The culture did not grow anything. And it is still swelling. (Onset of swelling was Sept 22). It seems to go down when I ride her, but then swells back up over the next 12-24 hours. Overall the swelling is less, but there is still heat and fluid. She will let me touch it now, lightly, whereas before, you were risking your knees to do so.

The vet has me giving her antibiotics anyway. Do you still feel a cytology would be useful.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM

Post Number: 13812
Posted on Wednesday, Sep 28, 2005 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I would do the cytology Ann to get a feeling if this is inflammatory or not. Sometimes you get negative cultures with and infection if the bacteria are not circulating in the fluid but tightly adhered to the tissues.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC