Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Stiffness in older pony

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lori Martin
Username: Lmmartin

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, Dec 18, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wasn't sure where to put this post
Since it has gotten colder, my 23 yr old pony has been pretty stiff when walking. He can get up and down ok. Its just when he walks and he walks slower than normal. He is not lame, not heat etc. He is on pasture 24/7, so does quite a bit or roaming/walking around. He is not ridden anymore.

So my question is what can I do to help him??I know there are a TON of joint supplements out there, but I don't really know what he needs. Please help. This is my first time caring for a elder horse so I need some help, as you can probably tell by some of my posts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 14331
Posted on Monday, Dec 19, 2005 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Lori,
First you have to properly identify why he is stiffer. Yes it is possible this is his joints but if the ground is frozen hard when you notice the stiffness you might find it is his feet that are troubling him. You should be able to quickly identify this by walking him on alternating soft and hard ground and observing the difference in the stride. If it does turn out to be arthritis see, Equine Diseases » Lameness » Joint & Bone Diseases » Arthritis and DJD: An Overview and if it is feet see Equine Diseases » Lameness » Diseases of the Hoof » Overview of Diagnosis and Diseases of the Foot. Older ponies are prone to Cushings and chronic founder so if you remain uncertain why your pony is sore get your vet out to help you with this problem.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC