Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Constricted tendon in foal

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cynthia Emond
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2000 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We've got a foal born this morning (5/19)with a constricted tendon on the left front. He's currently not bearing weight normally--heel remains raised. Anyone seen this? We finally have an equine vet in our area who has said something may need to be done if it doesn't correct itself in a few days. Except for field surgery, there's a possible clinic that treats all animals. This seems serious--Any ideas? Is there a possibility of complete soundness? With what treatment?
Cyndy

Denise Conroy
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2000 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cyndy,
An old time breeder once told me that if we ever had a foal with this, to rub warm olive oil on the tendon several times a day. One of those home remedies. :-) Should improve quickly, with no lasting affects...as I have been told.

Denise

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2000 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For more information see: The Horseman's Advisor: Equine Diseases: Foal Diseases: Contracted Tendons .
DrO

Cynthia Emond
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2000 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks DrO--I should have found the article on my initial search...but I'm technologically challenged. It answered all our questions and we're thinking little "Matrix" is going to come along fine! Cyndy
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 1997 - 2016
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC