Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on When this horse drinks water it runs out of his nostrils

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kim Clouse
Username: Laverne

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi DR. O.,
I scanned all of your respiratory discussions but couldn't find anything related to this. I bought a horse to train and sell recently. A few days ago, one of my helpers said she saw this horse drinking out of the water trough and then saw the water running out of his nostrils. I thought she was kidding so went out to see him. Luckily, he was getting ready to take a drink and sure enough the water was running out of his nostrils!! I saw it with my own eyes or I probably wouldn't have believed it. He's in good health otherwise. UTD on shots, worming etc. He doesn't appear to be dehydrated and he works a few times a week. He does however, cough quite a bit when working and I just started working on his canter and his breathing is noisy. Sounds like he's pushing air out harder in a rythym. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Kim

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 15702
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Kim,
How old is this horse? You may see such swallowing difficulties transiently following a upper respiratory infection. But it is also possible that there may be either a functional or anatomical problem with the upper respiratory / swallowing system (palate, pharynx, and larynx). There are several possibilities and usually a physical exam including endoscopy is the way to get started on separating them out.
DrO

Katrina
Username: Kthorse

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello kim,
My horse does this. He has his whole life. It looks like more water is coming out of his nose than he is drinking. My vet also said I could do the endoscopy but in my case I chose not too. It has never caused any problems other than looking funny. He is worked pretty hard 5 days a week on steep hills and dressage type work. It has never been a problem. My horse also has a very low palat and a very small mouth. Can you find out if this is recent or if he has had it his whole life?
Katrina

Kim Clouse

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dr.O.,
He is a 6 yr. old Thoroughbred that raced but had been off the track for a year before I bought him. I've had him for 3 months and he's been in good health. No signs of an upper respiratory infection. I will contact my Vet. and have him come out and take a look. I'll let you know what he finds. Thanks for your time and advice.
Kim

Kim Clouse

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Katrina,
It did look like there was more water coming out of his nose than he was drinking. I was concerned about his hydration but he's fine so I guess he's getting plenty of water down. I'm glad to know that it hasn't caused your horse any problems. Especially since he works quite hard. Since he is a resale project, I'll have my Vet. come out and take a look and do an endoscope exam so I know what's going on in there. Thanks for responding. I feel better about it knowing that your horse isn't bothered by it.
Kim
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC