Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Ligament from hip to spine overstretched

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Susan Jeys
Username: Sjeys

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of my neighbors has a gorgeous 7 year old holsteiner whom when he walks, his right hip drops really far down. His left hip appears to be fine.

I had the horse vetted on a pre-purchase and the vet said it was due to a ligament or muscle that connects from the hip to the spine being over stretched or torn. Since we didn't know when this injury occurred (the owner has zero eye for seeing this kind of thing) that it probably occurred from a fall in the pasture months or years ago (the horse was turned out on acres and acres for a couple of years).

I'm just wondering what the technical term is for this kind of injury and if there's any post rehab that can be done. The owner rode him for about six months like this (I couldn't stand it because you can really feel that right hip DROP out from under you under saddle) and jumped him (lightly, maybe 2 ft) and did some hacking out in the open. She says that it doesn't hurt him but that obviously he won't be an upper level event horse.

I think that with an injury that glaring that it would have to hurt the horse or at least make him very sore. He's out in a field now and she's trying to sell him as a lower level (beginner novice) or 2'6 hunter for next to nothing. I've had several neighbors stop me when they saw him and think he was terribly lame (and again, its just a weird rolling and dropping motion with that right hip, not a typical "lameness")

Do you know if swim therapy would help him? Or would it be kinder to just find him a place to retire? What is the term for this kind of tear? The vet (who has a very large practice) says he may see 10 or so of these a year.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 15718
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The term for the condition you describe is sacroiliac subluxation and often causes noticeable bumps, see References » Equine Illustrations » Leg Anatomy and Conformation » Sacroiliac Joint and Hunter Bumps. Without examining the horse Susan, I really cannot give you an opinion on what might happen with any specific therapy and wonder how this veterinarian has made this judgement from just a physical exam, for more on this see Equine Diseases » Lameness » Diseases of the Spine, Back & Pelvis » Lower Back Pain in Horses. However the prognosis here is guarded that this horse will improve after this much time.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC