Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Frequent Urination & Hypothyroidism

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Charlotte Lester
Posted on Thursday, Jun 29, 2000 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have been through all the info on hypothyroidism. There is no mention as to whether frequent urination is caused by it.

I have a 12 yr old endurance arab gelding. He was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago. He gets 2 teaspoons of Thyro-L a day. I have noticed that he will urinate as much as once an hour. I have not noticed an increase in water intake. The urine is pretty near clear. He always seems to go until he's done. He's not a horse that gets destracted easily.

Any ideas?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Posted on Friday, Jun 30, 2000 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Charlotte,
Though once an hour may be a little frequent it is not far enough out of the norm to, by itself with no other signs of illness, be of a lot of concern.

After reading the article are you still confident your horse has hypothyroidism? Frequent urination can be caused by a number of factors including just habit, but if water consumption is normal, very roughly 8 to 12 gallons a day unless very hot, I would consider lower urinary track irritation first.

Chronic over administraion of thyroid replacement hormone may cause symptoms of hyperthyroidism one of which is drinking and urinating excessively.
DrO

Charlotte Lester
Posted on Thursday, Jul 6, 2000 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr O.

His thyroid level is tested every 90 days and is always below normal. I find it hard to believe that he is hypothyroid. He is an endurance horse who always has too much energy to burn.

How do I get him tested for a urinary track infection/irritation? Get a sample to be tested?

Thanks

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Posted on Friday, Jul 7, 2000 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The problem with the blood tests is even though he is always below normal that really has no meaning because of the variability of normal between individuals: ie he still may be experiencing symptoms of hyperthyroidism and excessive urination r he may be normal, as of yet it is not clear. Be sure to watch your hyper and hypo as it will get confusing if you don't.

Lower urinary tract infection is diagnosed by a urinalysis but the sample must be very fresh when tested and examined.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC