Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Color of Urine/Swollen sheath

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Boese
Username: Vboese

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, Aug 5, 2006 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello,

My 10 yo gelding had surgery for a solar abscess in May of this year. Ever since he came back from Cornell, and needed to be on stall rest, his sheath was extremely swollen. Since it has been over 2 months, the vet thought the swelling was due to edema and wasn't really concerned. Now that he is on normal turnout, I have noticed that either 1 or both sides may be swollen and really hard when he comes out of his stall in the morning and stays like that throughout the day. Could this be allergy to bugs? I also notice that his urine is clear when he starts out and then gets bright yellow when he is almost finished. Is this normal? I have also noticed him going a bit more than usual but I attribute this to the extremely hot weather we have been having here in the northeast. I thought his urine was supposed to be a cloudy lite yellow the whole time. He was on 2 courses of antibiotics for the surgery, post surgery etc. Other than that, no other symptoms. He is not depressed and his appetite certainly isn't lacking. He is a bit overweight due to inactivity. Do you think I need to call the vet or is this considered normal urination?

Thank you.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 16333
Posted on Sunday, Aug 6, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The sheath swelling happened while the horse was up so is probably not do to bugs. Have you checked the inside of the sheath, which may require sedation, and carefully between his thighs for abnormalities?

The urine you describe is well within the range of normal Steve, as the article explains cloudy light yellow is just one way horse urine can look. That is not the same as saying the urine is normal but this alone would not concern me.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC