Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on What could cause really soft soles?

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alanna Long
Username: Along151

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 9, 2006 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have an appaloosa mare I've having trouble with lameness lately. It seemed like each time I'd have her trimmed she would be lame for the next 3 to 4 weeks. I just had her trimmed again last week, and she is lame again. Farrier suggested shoes, which may be my next step. But, I also noticed her soles are very soft, when I clean out her feet, I can scrape it off with the hoof pick and they are very close to the surface. She also has flat feet which makes her much more sensitive to everything. I'm concerned with her continued lameness all the time and the way her soles are really very soft. What could be causing this?

Linda S.
Username: Banthony

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 9, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If your horse is that sore after trimming, I would look carefully at the trim. Can you post pictures.

Soft soles are usually caused by wet conditions. You can toughen them with something like turpentine (horse product not paint store product.) There are some other products that work as well. My vet clinic sells a mixture they call "Hoof Cautery." It is a combination of iodine and formaldehyde.

Sometimes you can get concavity in the feet by controlling the flares when trimming.

Gwen Robison
Username: Gwen

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, Aug 9, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My horse has had shallow/sensitive soles forever. Just one of his many fine qualities!My farrier has me put a mixture of sugar and betadine on it and also recommends either venice turpentine or a hoof hardener by Keratex.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 16382
Posted on Monday, Aug 14, 2006 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Alanna,
as Linda states weather conditions can make soles soft but I often find that unbalanced trimming especially in the anterior-posterior aspect causes thin soles at the toe and chronic heel soreness. Check out the articles on at balance, Care for Horses » Hoof Care
to see if anything clicks if not then go on to Diseases of Horses » Lameness » Diseases of the Hoof » Poor Horn Quality: problems with the wall and soles to specifically address the soft horn.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC