Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Curbs

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jordana Meisner (Presario)
Posted on Thursday, Jan 4, 2001 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I did a search, but only found a very brief discussion on this, and thought that strange. Did I miss something? I'm trying to figure out how you'd diagnose a curb, and then what the course of action would be if a) the horse is lame, and b) if the horse isn't lame. Or is the very definition of a new curb a lame horse? Thanks Dr. O!

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Friday, Jan 5, 2001 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Jordana,
No you are right, we have had very few discussions on this and I have only seen two acute curbs in twenty years. I beleive this was a more common problem of horses that pulled things. Also kicking backward and hitting the lower back region of the hock could cause it. However I think we need to cover this. I will see if I can put together a little time today to research and write up something.
DrO

Posted on Wednesday, Jan 10, 2001 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That article is up Jordana. Hope it helps.
DrO

Jordana Meisner (Presario)
Posted on Wednesday, Jan 10, 2001 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks - you're the best!

Rochelle Temple (Shellyt)
Posted on Monday, Jul 29, 2002 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am unable to access the topic of Muscoskeletal Problems of the Legs under Lameness. I am interested in learning more about curbs, diagnosis, and treatment, including how much time off?

Thanks for your help!

Posted on Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Rochelle,
WE reorganized that whole section about 2 weeks ago and if you have the topic "Muscoskeletal Problem" still showing up under lameness then you have a old page cached in your browser. You should refresh that lameness page next time you are on it and should check your browser settings and change it so that it checks for changes each time you access a link.

Though the Lameness topic is being reorganized all of the past articles are still there and while they are being updated a lot of new ones are being added. Curb is located at Equine Diseases: Lameness: Diseases of the Hock: Curb or Curby Hocks: Tarsal Plantar Desmitis in Horses. You can just click on the title of the article in the navigation bar at the top of this page to get to it quickly.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 1997 - 2016
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC