Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Old curbs, still a problem?

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marilyn Lee-Hannah (Austin)
Posted on Wednesday, Jun 13, 2001 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My 5 yr old throughbred gld was a few month ago diagnoses with a curb. Now after blistering he is perfectly sound. He has been jumping and not having any problems. Although my farrier has recommended not to put corks on his rear shoes. I occasionally show on grass I am afraid that he will slip barefoot or without corks. Also after I take him for a hack his curb tends to be a little sore, could it be the pressure from the cement that he is not used to? any advice would be appreciated.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Thursday, Jun 14, 2001 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Marilyn,
I should mention that the curb would have healed without the blistering, to prevent others from feeling it is needed.

When you say it tends to be a little sore, what makes you think this: lameness or manipulation of the site.
DrO

Marilyn Lee-Hannah (Austin)
Posted on Thursday, Jun 14, 2001 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr.O
It tends to be sore when I lift his other hind leg. He has trouble standing on it after a hack. I only blisteres because the vet reccommended it. Was that a mistake

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Friday, Jun 15, 2001 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If he is not lame at the trot at the time you pick up his leg, I don't think his lack of willingness to stand on it is caused by pain. It is unlikely the blister helped heal the curb but other than tne discomfort it caused when applied it obviously has not prevented healing either.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 1997 - 2016
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC