Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Enlarged corpora nigra?

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kendal M Morris (10nycav)
Posted on Thursday, Jun 21, 2001 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm not sure about the right name for this condition, but I heard recently about a horse that had unusually large corpora nigra that interfered with his vision. This was corrected surgically although I'm not sure about the details of the procedure, it was relatively non-invasive.

I have a friend with a 15 yr old Morgan mare that has very large corpora nigra. The largest are about the size of small pea. She is always "on edge" despite being fed a "non-hot" diet and getting outside for exercise every day. I wonder if the behavioral problems may be related to vision problems? How can you tell if the corpora nigra are large enough to cause a problem? Does anyone know anything about the corrective procedure (name, cost)?

Thanks!
Ken Morris

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Friday, Jun 22, 2001 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am afraid it would be impossible to tell if this was the cause of the spookiness without removing them. Behavorial problems and performance impairment (visual impairment 5 cases, decreased jumping performance 2 cases, or head shaking 1 case) in horses with cystic corpora have improved following treatment. A history of worsening problems with increasing size of the cystic corpora is probably significant in putting cause and effect together.

The surgery I am familiar with is using a laser to "deflate" the cystic structures. I am not sure how this would work on a solid structure but the difference between the two may be determined by a history of enlarginf over time, visually it may appear lighter than the surrounding corpora, or with an ultrasound.
DrO

Penner
Username: Penner

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, Nov 13, 2003 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Dr O,

Just curious on the status of the laser surgery now (2 yrs later from this last post), to remove cysts of the corpora nigra. Is the laser surgery considered experimental?

Who or what academic center (in the W/ SW USA preferably..)is doing the laser surgeries? (because I had only been told of the aspiration type surgery which had complications of blood in the anterior chamber, etc.)

Thank you!

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 9471
Posted on Friday, Nov 14, 2003 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Penner,
Dr. Gilger continues to do these here in NC in the standing horse. I do not have a easy way to track down where the procedure is done in the West but if you contact a veterinary opthamlogist at a university teaching hospital you can probably get a referral.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC