Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Recurring Abscesses

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Denise D. Youngblood
Posted on Wednesday, Oct 18, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I noticed my horse was "off" a little during a lope. After cleaning hoof again I noticed an abscess in her front left. It was in her frog and blew out in the bulb of her heel. She showed no lameness before the abscess blew out. Three weeks later she went lame on her back right. After probing I located a soft spot with some blood again in her frog and it blew out a small whole in her heel. She has shoes on her front feet but not on her back. I ride mostly in a dirt arena and sometimes on a dirt rode. Could there be something internal? I clean her feet daily and use Keratox. She gets top of the line feed and vitamins. Would a hoof supplement help? Thanks in advance.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 16894
Posted on Thursday, Oct 19, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Denise,
Does your horse have any chronic or acute illness issues other than the abscesses? Is her condition good and attitude bright, at least before the abscesses.
DrO

Denise D. Youngblood
Username: Jydy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, Oct 19, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr. O
She has no other health problems that I am aware of. I have only owned her for 7 months with her previous owner having her since she was weaned. He told me there were no health problems with her and I had a pre-purchase exam before I bought her. She is 7 years old now. She eats great and her attitude is great, except for now which of course she is hurting. Thanks for responding.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM

Post Number: 16900
Posted on Friday, Oct 20, 2006 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmm, well it does not sound like a systemic problem. Did you mean to write Keratex or possibly Coppertox? And are you applying this daily to the soles?
DrO

Denise D. Youngblood

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, Oct 20, 2006 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I believe it is Keratex. It is a hoof hardener with the main ingredient being Formaldeyhde. I use it twice a week, like the directions call for, everywhere but the coronet and frog. I have used Coppertox before, but the farrier suggested a mixture of bleach and water works just as well. I spray that on the bottom of her hoof probably every other day or so when I ride. Should I change to something else? The farrier always tells me she has great feet and he doesn't know why she gets the abscesses. Thanks again Denise

Robert N. Oglesby DVM

Post Number: 16908
Posted on Saturday, Oct 21, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We know the reason for abscesses, bacteria are getting into the sensitive tissues. Hmmmm, no lameness till it blew out the heel, that makes me think of an injury: why do you think it formed under the frog?
DrO

Denise D. Youngblood

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, Oct 23, 2006 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sorry computer crashed. I say the frog. I am not too familiar with the anatomy of the hoof. I don't know where either abscess started because she was not lame until they blew out. After looking at the diagram on this site. The first abscess blew out of the heel and the Sulcus of the frog. The second one, I noticed a small amount of pus and blood in the bars, on the side of the frog. Then after cleaning real good I saw the small hole in her heel. That hole is now an inch long and when I flush it with Betadine it goes all the way through. Thanks again.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM

Post Number: 16923
Posted on Tuesday, Oct 24, 2006 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Since abscesses are always painful Denise, you should figure they started where they blew out and these sound more like trauma cases than subsolar abscesses.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC