Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Bute and nursing mare

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lesley Bickerton
Username: Lesleyb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 30, 2003 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a mare with a nasty case of rain rot and an eight week old colt at foot. The mare will not let me treat her rain rot, it is extremely painful for her and I'd like to continue living, at least a little longer. I was reading your articles on rain rot and bute and I was thinking I'd like to give her some bute over a couple of days so I can give her a good scrub and treat the rain rot, but I am unsure if this is good for the colt. The mare is a 14.1hh paint, about 900lbs and is in good health in all other respects. I also have a yearling filly that has caught the rain rot and is also very sore. I need to treat her too, can I give her bute just to ease the rain rot treatment?
Execellent site, by the way!
Lesley.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 8860
Posted on Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Whether it is safe to give your horses bute or not must be established by a veterinarian and a physical exam Lesley. We do have some information in the article (see The Past Forum Discussions section at the bottom of the article) on bute and lactating mares and there is some information in the body of the article on giving bute to young horses. I have treated both lactating mares and yearlings with bute without incident.
DrO

Lesley Bickerton
Username: Lesleyb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, Jul 31, 2003 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks DrO,
I had already decided I needed to get my vet in for an examination and also to discuss the dosage in detail with him. But I do feel a lot better knowing I'm not the first to be giving bute to a lactating mare and a yearling.
Lesley.
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC