Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Ovarian Cysts

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dawn M. Rutz
Posted on Sunday, Apr 16, 2000 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dr.O
I have had feed back from a few people and the have mentioned ovarian cysts. Is this common in mares of the quarter horse breed or mares in general?
What would the symptoms be?
Are there any visibal signs?
Elevated temp?
Behavior problems?
I would like any information you can offer on this condition.
I know it will be quite a chore to do an ultrasound on this mare as she does not like you doing anything in that area. Is this a sign of discomfort?
Thanks so much,
Dawn

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Posted on Sunday, Apr 16, 2000 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It would depend on the nature of the cystic structure. Most commonly would be a persistant corpus luteum, a persistant follicle, or granulosa cell tumor though there are a lot of other possibilities all with different clinical signs. Some of these are covered in difficulty getting mares settled.
DrO

Tracey Burnash
Posted on Monday, Jul 24, 2000 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have owned an 18 year old bood mare for about two months who was just found to have an enlarged ovary. The ovary is about four times its normal size. A granulosa cell tumor is strongly suspected. She has a filly that is not quite three months old. With some excellent health care and adequate excercise I had hoped to breed her again at least one more time. Her blood lines are very good and I have a stallion in mind that is superb.At this point, I am very concerned those plans may be in jeopardy. The vet tells me the surgery has to be done down state and she is unsure of the cost.
The mare is still nursing, could this affect the tumor's growth, for the better or worse?
Does any one have any idea what the cost of surgery generally runs? The safety of this particular surgery? I do not want in any way shape or form to harm this horse and the more information I can find, the better. Thank you.

Tracey Burnash
Posted on Tuesday, Jul 25, 2000 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

An update on the message I posted yesterday, I spoke with the Ob/Gyn vet at Cornell University's Large Animal Clinic today and got good news/ bad news from her.
(First, I hope I posted this message correctly as there is not any feed back on it yet. I am still new at this Internet thing.)
My mare is still cycling which only occurs in a very small percentage of mares with granulosa cell tumors.(She has two follicles 2-20 mm on the other ovary.) She is not exhibiting signs of constant heat, being very grumpy or acting like a stallion which are other common behaviors with that particular tumor. She suggested getting blood work done to check estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and inhibin hormone levels just as is suggested in some of the literature I read on this website. I am not sure why my vet did not do that unless she plans on doing it after she gets the results from the uterine culture.
The really bad news is if it is in fact a granulosa cell tumor the cost of the surgery is prohibitive, especially in consideration of her age. The size of the ovary would probably warrant a midline incision rather than a flank incision which is more extensive surgery adding further to the cost. (I hate this part of owning animals!)
She felt there is a possibility of an ovarian hematoma. Does anyone out there have experience with this particular condition? PLEASE share information! She said the mare will typically cycle with this condition and it is self resolving.
I have to discuss this further with my vet. The vet at Cornell also mentioned the ovulation fasca (sp?) is destroyed with granulosa cell tumors and this can sometimes be felt with palpation.
Please share any experiences with either condition. The more I know,the better I can be prepared for whatever has to be done.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Posted on Wednesday, Jul 26, 2000 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As long as you have one good ovary with normal hormone levels I would go for it without surgery. There was a recent description of a technique (using the inexpensive and eay to find piece of equipment: the large plastic garbage bag) for removing large tumors through a standing flank surgery. Personally I think I could get an ovary this size (4x normal makes it about the size of a soft ball I would guess) through a standing flank with an ecrasure, if not the traditional colopotomy incision.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC