Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Reducing inflammation in arthritic joint

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

B L Craig (Jessie)
Posted on Thursday, Aug 3, 2000 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a 15 year QH/Arab cross gelding with osteo-arthritis in one front fetlock, as diagnosed through vet exam and xrays. He is much worse in the summer which we believe is due to increased inflammation in the joint. He is currently receiving a monthly Legend injection and is on daily bute and a glucosamine supplement. Our foremost concern is to keep him as pain free as possible but we aren't doing anything that has been helpful in reducing the inflammation. Does anyone have any recommendations on ways to reduce the inflammation? I cold hose his joint 3-4 times a week but don't know that this is really doing anything for him. In the colder, drier winter months, he is often sound to ride at a walk and canter. Thanks

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Friday, Aug 4, 2000 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Jessie,
Review the article: The Horseman's Advisor: Equine Diseases: Lameness: Diseases of Joints : Arthritis and DJD: An Overview. It has recommendations along with their pros and cons, that you have not tried yet.
DrO

Robert Cysyk (Cysyk)
Posted on Sunday, Oct 15, 2000 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jessie,

I have a 22 year old Quarter Horse with terrible arthritis in his knee's. We have tried glucosomine, yucca and achieved only limited relief with daily bute. We were on the verge of putting him down. On the advise of a friends farrier, we tried DMSO. I was skeptical on the outset, but I must say the results were amazing. After a single application to his knee's he was better almost immediately. We started out with an application of 50% DMSO(we dilute it to avoid burns) directly to the joint every other day. We are in the process now, of reducing the bute and will then try backing off on the DMSO applications to see what we can get away with. Understandably, this horse will never be considered sound, we just wanted to make an old friend comfortable.

I never thought that I would be giving a testimonial like this but so far the results are quite amazing. A horse that was in obvious discomfort, is now brighter in the eye, nickers for treats when he see's us and comes trotting in for his grain.

I realize that your thread was posted in August, but I thought that you might like to hear this.

Bob

Posted on Monday, Oct 16, 2000 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Bob,
Have your vet add a touch of cortisone (say make a 1% solution) to that DMSO and and use it once to twice a week and the results may even be better, yet the small amount of cortisone applied infrequently should not have systemic effects. You can continue to apply the regular DMSO as needed. See what your vet says.
DrO

Darla (Petteda)
Posted on Tuesday, Oct 17, 2000 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi Jessie,

I agree with Bob about the DMSO. We have a 10yr old QH with arthritis in the front fetlock. We began mixing 1/3 DMSO and 2/3 water in a spray bottle and spraying it directly on the fetlock area. He has been much improved.

Dr. O.
Do you think mixing the cortisone with this solution and spraying once daily is too much? Should we possibly back off to once or twice a week?

Heather Fontaine (Choicera)
Posted on Wednesday, Oct 18, 2000 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just wanted to mention - I love DMSO also, but you should always do a "test spot" of DMSO on a tiny area easily accessible on the horse first, before going ahead with a full treatment. If anyone read through the hell I went through with my mare (I just posted it yesterday) - I believe it all started when I applied DMSO to a slight fetlock swelling. My mare reacted to the DMSO, and completely freaked out. We had to restrain and then tranquilize her to keep her from hurting herself (she was totally freaking out), she pawed so furiously on hard clay ground I thought she would break her leg. I also own her daughter, and have done a "test spot" on her - she also reacted terribly to it, but I was able to get the DMSO off and she didn't have a huge fit. 'Just wanted to mention it...

Posted on Wednesday, Oct 18, 2000 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Darla, once daily for short periods would be fine but until we can characterize the long term effects I would not do this for longer than say a couple of weeks. Not because there is a specific contraindication but because of uncertainty. Everyone should realize all this is experimental and that the long term effects and maybe some short term effects are not understood. This needs to be done with the approval of your regular veterinarian. Heather, I suspect what happened is that you used a concentrated solution and/or the leg may have had some excessive moisture on it, the result is terrific heat when mixed.
DrO

Heather Fontaine (Choicera)
Posted on Wednesday, Oct 18, 2000 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have always just bought the tubes of DMSO gel, as do the other horse people I know, is that considered the concentrated version? I've used it on a lot of horses with no problems. I'll keep in mind the moisture issue, though. How is it then diluted without creating the heat?

Posted on Thursday, Oct 19, 2000 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It should have the concentration printed on the tube, if not I would find one that does. I buy the liquid so dilution is easy.
DrO

Nancy Herbert (Gemtwist)
Posted on Wednesday, Nov 22, 2000 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have also used DMSO with wonderful results. Since no one had mentioned it and people who have never used DMSO are probably reading this, I thought I would mention that you need to be sure to use gloves and make sure the application area is cleaned before applying. My understanding is that DMSO will carry whatever is on the area of application into the horse's system. I read about a women who had been using some weed killer and then put DMSO on her arthritic shoulder (a lot of humans with arthritis use DMSO with excellent results, too) without washing/covering her hands. She died within 24 hours. Cause of death listed as poisoning from the weed killer which was in her system presumably from the application of the DMSO. Anyway, it's still a great product, but if you start tasting oysters go wash your hands!

Nancy

Jordana Meisner (Presario)
Posted on Friday, Dec 1, 2000 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have used a 1/2 bottle of DMSO with a 4oz (I think) tube of Arnica, mixed together, on my gelding's arthritic hock with some success.

leslie christian
Username: Leslie1

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, Oct 6, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I bought a jar of DMSO gel (98%) at the local feed store. Do I need to dilute it with something?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 16809
Posted on Saturday, Oct 7, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Leslie the article on "DMSO" explains this. Click on DMSO on the navigation bar above.
DrO

Tony Diaz
Username: Tonydi

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, Oct 7, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This is my first time here. I have been looking for a while for the area to submit a new question or post. Can someone PLEASE help me? I know I'm not supposed to add questions to someone else's post and for this I ask you to forgive me. But, I'm desperately needing ask you guys a question about swelling after a small and recovered knee fracture.

Holly Wood
Username: Hwood

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Sunday, Oct 8, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hi, Tony, and welcome to HA.
You found this discussion . . . and if you had scrolled down through all the discussion titles (printed in blue) you would have seen at the very bottom of the column of titles (printed in black)the words "start new discussion." Click on those words and a window opens for you to start your own discussion . . . you give it a title and post your comments/questions.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 16812
Posted on Sunday, Oct 8, 2006 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For a complete discussion on finding information on Horseadvice see, News & Help ยป How Do I Find Information in Horseadvice.com?.
DrO

Sally Payette
Username: 1sally

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, Nov 7, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Years ago, I found the recipe for 50% DMSO, 50% sterile water and 1% cortisone on this web side. I used it on a geriatric mare that appeared as though we would have to put down. Her x-ray showed that her hock was completely fused. The vet said he had never seen such a bad hock. We painted her 2 x daily for about 2 mos. She now runs and trots with no indication of any problems whatsoever and has never showed any lameness since. The vet said he could hardly believe she can walk on that leg. But every morning she runs out to pasture like she was coming out of a starting gate.

Sure is worth a try for your horse
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC