Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on What exactly is ichthammol?

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christine C. Mills (Chrism)
Posted on Tuesday, Nov 7, 2000 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What do people use it for?

Thanks.

Elizabeth Donahue (Paul303)
Posted on Tuesday, Nov 7, 2000 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is a drawing salve.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Wednesday, Nov 8, 2000 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well it is a black very thick goo with a strong odor of burnt motor oil. It is often used to bring abscesses to a head. The official version goes:

Sulfonated bitumen; ammonium sulfoichthyolate; a viscous fluid, reddish brown to brownish black in color, with a strong, characteristic, empyreumatic odor, soluble in water and in glycerin; obtained by the destructive distillation of certain bituminous schists (rocks containg coal tar), sulfonating the distillate and neutralizing the product with ammonia. It is used in skin disorders; its beneficial effect is due to its mild irritant, stimulant, antiseptic, and analgesic action; has been used in 10 and 20 percent concentration in an ointment.
DrO

Christine C. Mills (Chrism)
Posted on Wednesday, Nov 8, 2000 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ooo, sounds lovely.

Thanks!

Emily French (Jcsmoon)
Posted on Wednesday, Nov 8, 2000 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Never heard of it before though it sounds as socially appealing as DMSO,... is this something good to keep on hand?

Robert N. Oglesby DVM (Dro)
Posted on Thursday, Nov 9, 2000 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't use icthammol anymore myself: a scalpel blade is much faster than trying to draw the abscess to a head and there are much better antiseptics available now.
DrO

Whitney Ellis
Username: Wce159

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, Jul 11, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

To quote my old vet, the antiseptic effect is because "no self-respecting bug would live in it".

Daisyanne Elmquist
Username: Palmare

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, Jul 13, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like Animal Lintex lots better as a drawing agent, ie for absess (sp) in the hoof--it comes in a cotton looking fabric--you stick it in warm water and bandage it to the hoof --no smell no mess

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: Dro

Post Number: 16156
Posted on Friday, Jul 14, 2006 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Since the above posting I have found a use for this that seems to be hard to replicate with any other product and that is the initial treatment of a bad case of grease heel, see the article on grease heel for more on this.
DrO

Alicia Kost
Username: aannk

Post Number: 682
Posted on Thursday, Feb 1, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone,
what is the best way to get it off skin? I use it to soften scabs on my mare's scratches, but I always have a very hard time getting it off.
Alicia

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 17683
Posted on Friday, Feb 2, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dry paper towels followed by soap and warm water. If you do some mechanic-ing you might have some GoJo hand cleaner which I bet would cut it.
DrO

Ann
Username: dres

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Friday, Feb 2, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hehehe and always wear rubber gloves when using it.. it gets into the pours i swear of your hands.. and will not come out.. I had treated a young horse with it, came in washed up and went to the mall.. As luck will have it , ran into a old friend.. she hugged me and pulled back and said.. WHAT IS THAT SMELL.. hehehe.. its strong stuff..

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them with spots..

Joanne M. Friedman
Username: jmarie

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, Feb 2, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I LOVE Ichthammol! Yes, it smells bad. I think that's part of its charm. When it stops smelling, it's time for another treatment. Gobbed on a hunk of sterile cotton, sprinkled with a good dose of livestock-grade powdered tetracyline, and packed into a hoof, it will resolve abscesses in a foundered hoof that have defied all other treatment. Overkill, perhaps, but I'm for whatever works.

DrO's Orange Go-Jo advice is good to remember. They also make wipes in a plastic dispenser tub for those of us (me) who tend to make even more of a mess with the gel than we are trying to clean up.

Corinne Meadows
Username: corinne

Post Number: 779
Posted on Saturday, Feb 3, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That GoJo always got the greece off of my Dad's hands (he was a mechanic) although didn't work so hotly under his always stained fingernails. So protect them.

Alicia Kost
Username: aannk

Post Number: 683
Posted on Monday, Feb 5, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

All,
I used Dawn dishwashing detergent, and it worked like a charm. I did use gloves, I am familiar with the stench and how long it lasts on your hands! Dawn was suggested to me because it is used to clean oil off animals in oil spills. It worked quite well :-)
Thanks all!
Alicia
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2014
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC