Better information makes for healthier horses,
Horseadvice.com is where equine science and horse sense intersect.

Discussion on Bagging up and dripping milk at 5 mo.

Use the navigation bar above to access articles and more discussions on this topic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tamela Kelm
Username: notch

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My mare is due to foal around April 16 2008. This will be her 3rd foal. Her first foal was carried with out any problems but with her second foal she started bagging up on one side and then looked almost like she was waxing at 5mo. I called the vet and they came out and did blood test, ultra sound and palpated. Every thing came out fine so he put her on tucoprim and it took care of it he just thought maybe she got poked and caught an infection in the bag. Now with her 3rd pregnancy she again did same thing about 6mo along. I put her on the same antibiotic and it disappeared but now at 9mo I see it again. It is not always on the same side either. Her bag is not hard but again has what looks like waxing. I put her again tocuprim but would like to know the cause and if there is anything I can do about it. I am hoping I am spelling the antibiotic right.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 20124
Posted on Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hello Tamella,
For more on your problems see the Abnormal Lactation subtopic in the article Equine Reproduction » Pregnancy, Foaling, & Neonatal Care » Pregnant Mare Care and Nutrition. It will explain the possibilities and provide links to further articles on this topic.

Concerning the use of Tucoprim a trimethoprim-sulfa drug, in pregnant mares you should review Treatments and Medications for Horses » Antibiotics and Antimicrobials » Trimethoprim -Sulfa as there are some important considerations.
DrO

Tamela Kelm

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I guess I do not know how to navigate as I can not find the abnormal lactation subtopic article.

KATHLEEN WHEAT
Username: kathleen

Post Number: 771
Posted on Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tamela
Go to the top of this page and click on "pregnancy, foaling and neonatal care" (right after "equine reproduction". That will take you to a page where you click on "pregnant mare care and nutrition" which is the first topic and that will take you to the article.
Hope I got that right.
Kathleen

Tamela Kelm

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, Feb 24, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you so much that took me right to it. My vet ruled out mastitus because the bag was not hard nor hot and each time it was either one side or the other. He was actually not to worried about it as the tucoprin seems to resolve the problem but I just hate not knowing what is causing it.

Robert N. Oglesby DVM
Username: dro

Post Number: 20128
Posted on Monday, Feb 25, 2008 - 5:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tamela, the article gives 3 possible rule outs and might fit within the articles description of normal, depending on how heavy the lactation is, with less than 2 months to go. However to diagnose the rule outs would take a good ultrasound exam.
DrO
Post a Message to this Discussion
Posting
Instructions:
Full Service Members may post to this discussion and should address the orignial poster's concerns or other information posted here. New questions about your horse should be started in a new discussion. Use the navigation bar at the top of this page to return to the parent article and review the article and existing discussions. If your question remains unanswered "Start a New Discussion", the link is under the list of discussions at the bottom of the article.
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username:
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:
Home Page | Todays Discussions | Search | Top of Page Administration
  http://www.horseadvice.com
is The Horseman's Advisor
Helping Thousands of Equestrians, Farriers, and Veterinarians Every Day
All rights reserved, © 2013
Horseadvice.com is a BBB Accredited Business. Click for the BBB Business Review of this Horse Training in Stokesdale NC